Announcing FAWMSTOCK 2022!

[avatar]

Hey there FAWMily!

After much suspense, the mod team is excited to announce this year's FAWMstock, which will be held virtually over the weekend of December 2-4! Get ready for a "jam" packed weekend full of music and fun, brought to you by...YOU!

HOW IT WORKS: Pick a time and date to host a session on the platform of your choice (Zoom, Twitch, Facebook, YouTube, whatever!). Your session could be anything from a performance, to a workshop, to an open mic, to a skirmish, to a hangout, etc! It's all about coming together as the incredibly talented musical community that we are.

HOW TO SIGN UP: Check the Google calendar here (You will be asked to add it to your calendar to automatically adjust to your timezone): https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0?cid=NmUwNDJkMzhmOWM5MzdkZTQ1OGRlMTdhOTYxZDQ1YWMyYzAxZGViMDIxYTBlYTZiZmQzN2IwNTkxNDUxMjU4YUBncm91cC5jYWxlbmRhci5nb29nbGUuY29t

Then sign up using the Google form here: https://forms.gle/Vv3X7mUEDJbrvuSP8

The calendar will automatically populate with your session in your timezone, no fancy calculations required! Also, if you are not sure how to set up a platform, the calendar will also automatically create a Google Meet link for you. If you have any questions, ideas, or concerns, please comment on this thread or reach out to a member of your friendly mod team.

Hope to see you there!

[avatar]

🤘 WOOHOOO! 🤘

🚨 IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR INSPIRATION 🚨 here is a schedule from the last virtual fawmstock in august 2020:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NzvAsCYzUvc5AG8SxOumTw-u6r_am4T6laipfGIhgHM/edit

You can get a sense of the variety of sessions people can hold! 😄

big props to @ductapeguy @robynmackenzie and @nancyrost for organizing this event! :) it's going to be fun...

[avatar]

Wow! I need to check into another couple things first but I am totally excited!

[avatar]

YIPEEEEEEE!!

[avatar]

Oh yeaaaaah!

[avatar]

This sounds exiting! But I am not sure if my skills are good enough for a live performance - well I am sure, they are not…
Or how does this work?
Can someone explain this to me, please?

[avatar]

Live performance is just one of many options for fawmstock activities.

You don't have to perform at all if you don't want to! If you do want to take part in an open mic or live skirmish it can be a supportive way to try that out. You're also welcome to tune in and just listen and/or participate in the social aspect.

Other activities so far include a video watch party, an interactive lyric-writing game, and a workshop/tutorial on "generative music". Links will be provided in the Google calendar to all the events on various platforms. (Some are on YouTube, some on Zoom, etc.)

I hope this makes sense, @mahtowin - let us know if you still have questions!

[avatar]

@mahtowin It doesn’t have to be a live performance, it could be a super casual hangout sesh or an interview with another fawmer. Or an open mic, or a songwriting exercise, or a live skirmish. Or anything you can think of! :).

ETA: @nancyrost explained it better than I did, lol.

[avatar]

What is the underlying tech we will use? Google? Zoom? A forum? Facebook page? Is video required to host? To attend? Or will everyone do their own thing handling instructions, logins, etc.?

[avatar]
@lowhum

Can I smoke?

[avatar]

@johnstaples Everyone will do their own thing handling instructions, etc. When we did this in 2020 people used a variety of tech including Twitch, Jitsi, Facebook live, Google, Zoom. The info will be in the calendar linked in the pinned post.

[avatar]

I love it! I've been running skirmishes over at xrpradio.co.uk for a little while, so I guess I know when the next one will be!

[avatar]

Thanks @nancyrost !

[avatar]
@beacon

This sounds great. I'm interested in maybe doing a vocalists roundtable. Any particular vocalists wanna play? We can talk about how we approach songwriting from a singers perspective. I'm looking at you @katestantonsings, and there are probably a few others.

[avatar]
@beacon

I could also do a reception in my kumospace room

[avatar]

Well... off to the drawing boards! This looks awesome.

[avatar]

Submitted my proposal for a session!

[avatar]

@beacon I’d love to join your vocalist round table! Dec. 2nd is my company Christmas party, but the 3 & 4 I am open anytime! 😀 I’ll check out the forms.

[avatar]
@nadine

Great news! I try to participate but maybe just Friday evening and Sunday. I hope we have some events in GMT or CET as Europeans cannot join the Tuesday Zoom group.

@beacon A reception would be awesome I miss my FAWMily :)

[avatar]
@gm7

Ken.... Yes a Kumospace FAWMily party!

[avatar]
@gm7

Thx @ductapeguy @robynmackenzie and @nancyrost for organizing this event!
It will FAWMtastic

[avatar]

This sounds great! I'm probably too scared to submit something myself, but it will at least be nice to hang around live with FAWMers without needing to stay up until 2am :). Looking forward to it!

[avatar]
@andrea

This sounds like fun!! I downloaded the calendar. I will have to peak around more to understand how it all works.

[avatar]
@andrea

This sounds like fun!! I downloaded the calendar. I will have to peak around more to understand how it all works.

[avatar]
@andrea

[avatar]

Boom. I am signed up!

[avatar]

I wonder if people would be interested in a Reaper workshop where you can ask questions etc. I could cover...
-basic recording,
-mixing,
-creating project templates,
-rendering,
-installing vst plugins
-whatever you want

[avatar]

A Reaper workshop sounds great, @ianuarius !

[avatar]

Alright, I'll be doing a two-hour Reaper workshop for beginners, then!

[...]

* Get people up and running with Reaper
* Make everyone feel more comfortable starting out with it during FAWM.
* I'll write down a bunch of stuff I can cover
* Start with the very basics and proceed slow enough that everyone feels comfortable.
* Two hours gives us enough time for questions people might have.
* Really focus on making everything as clear as possible.

[avatar]
@gm7

GREAT IDEA @ianuarius

[avatar]

Excited to share at FAWMSTOCK 2022 as last year's creations have come to life in a new release this December 3rd.

[avatar]

I will just have moved into my new house so cant really commit to run anything just yet but will see as it gets closer if i can do something with lyricists as i ill just be finishing my 100 lyrics in a hundred days. Will certainly try and join as much as i can. Happy to help @beacon as a guide on your kumo space catch up.

[avatar]

Like @coolparadiso I shall be in the middle of a long stretched-out, piecemeal, home move, so I doubt I will have the opportunity to host something (plus my MIL's health is... er shall we say "delicate") - but I look forward to any opportunity offered to meet and greet members of this great community.

[avatar]
@beacon

Just set the Kumospace reception for 4 pm EST on Friday, which should hopefully allow some of the Europeans to join (looking at you @nadine!) Not sure if it's too early for @coolparadiso and the other Southern Hemisphere folk.

[avatar]
@gm7

I will be there Ken..great idea!

[avatar]
@nadine

Thank you!

[avatar]

Oh hey, this could be fun. :) Are "open mic" sessions like a Zoom filk circle? For those who know what filk is? Or something different? I will try to show up for something on Saturday, regardless.

[avatar]

@tawny249 you got it - it's like a Zoom filk circle but for songwriters of any genre.

[avatar]

Turns out I'll be more free than I initially expected that week end, so I've got @beacon's gathering in my diary and I'm sure I'll be up for a filk/song circle at the very least.

[avatar]

Not too bad @beacon 7 am is very possible!

[avatar]
@clioem

Just registered for the Friday, this should be fun :)

[avatar]

I wonder if any other Europeans will be around since the afternoons are completely empty. :0

[avatar]
@beacon

Just posted for Saturday, December 2 10:30-11:30 am EDT, @katestantonsings and I will be hosting a Vocalists Roundtable. Come and talk about all things singing.

[avatar]

There appears to be some overlap at 1 pm EST the Friday of Fawmstock.

[avatar]

yes, i was informed of that. i had signed up for it while it was empty and by the time i was through with the dsescription and other neccessary paperwork, some one else had signed up for the same slot. so i asked nancy to remove me from the calendar. when she does that, there will just be the one person signed up for 1pm on friday.

[avatar]

The double-booked slot is now single-booked. :-)

[avatar]
@clioem

@billwhite51 I don't see you on the calendar anymore? If my taking the slot prevents you from having your show/talk, well then that just won't do! If it's the only time you can do, I am more than happy to hand it over to you. Please just let me know and we can figure it out :)

[avatar]

@billwhite51 and @coolparadiso it would be cool to attend a lyric writing chat by you!

[avatar]

I cannot make it to the reception, but I hope anyone who wants to chat singing makes it on Dec 3 @ 10:30 eastern!

[avatar]

@clioem you are welcome to the one o clock slot on friday. i have made other plans. thank you, though, for being so considerate.

[avatar]

@katestantonsings i dont really have anything to say in general about lyric writing. each song presents its own challenges.

[avatar]
@clioem

@billwhite51 ok, then I will keep the slot. Thank you as well, and I hope you have lovely plans! See you at FAWM 2023 then I hope, I have watchlisted you now! :)

[avatar]

I spent last evening putting together a set list for my concert component! 😀 Getting excited.

[avatar]
@clioem

I am also excited for your set @metalfoot ! And hey, you are a keytar (I think?)

[avatar]
@clioem

Keylodica maybe?

[avatar]

@clioem a melodica I think?

[avatar]
@fuzzy

Melodica for sure.

[avatar]

Is there a spreadsheet or an invite to participate? I signed up for that but haven’t seen any emails about it

[avatar]

@corinnecurcio I see you listed as an audience member on the calendar that's linked in the original post. There's no email involved, To participate in the sessions you want, follow the links in the calendar at the listed times.

[avatar]

so.. slowly getting into the 21st century here, have a new laptop computer, so if you see me on that kumospace thing that beacon is running, you won't see me flying around from place to place like last time! Sat morning we're supposed to have brunch with an out of town relative, so I may not be around for that time, but hopefully I can attend (virtually) other times-- and if i get things together enough, maybe host an open mike or something on sunday late morning or early afternoon (nyc eastern time that is).. we'll see.

[avatar]

Hey, I’m just wondering: That Solaria voice synthesizer I recently started working with is causing a lot of interest whenever people hear it.

Would you be interested if I’d offer a session on how it works?

I’ve never hosted or even attended a session here. What would I need to know and set up to get this running?

[avatar]

Duh! Thanks @nancyrost

[avatar]

Ooo that sounds lovely @florianhoffmann !

[avatar]

Hi @florianhoffmann - it's pretty easy to host a session. Just two things to know:

Pick a platform to host it - Zoom, Facebook live, Twitch, etc. - whatever you're comfortable with. Make a link to that online session that will go in the calendar.

Find a time that's not already taken (see the calendar linked in the original post in this thread - there's lots of available time on Sunday.) Then fill out the form linked in the top post.

That's it!

[avatar]

@nancyrost or @robynmackenzie - would you mind deleting the Google Meet copy of my Sunday workshop from the calendar? I'm much more comfortable with Zoom and created a Meet link in error.

[avatar]

@spirulence - done.