Hello Everyone...time to introduce myself...I'm pretty nervous

[avatar]

My name is Jared. I'm new here. I took up writing again in October of 2020 after a seven year hiatus, it was my way of dealing with a bad breakup. As it became more therapeutic with each verse, I realized how much I enjoyed crafting stories and the addiction was back. I hope to participate in the discussions here more and more and tackling FAWM for the first time this year come February.

I can only play three or four chords, I cannot sing, or read sheet music. I'm a terrible person lol. But I do write, fairly well. I have no desire of becoming a performing arist and a having a recording contract. I just want to be a writer. I realize I'm digging myself a hole on EVER getting a song "cut" because in order to get your song heard, you have to sing a demo. So, good luck with that right?

I have no studio equipment. I do have about $800 worth of Podcast equipment (Steel-toes 'N' Scoreboards Podcast...cheap plug right) that if desperate enough I could record mic one with vocals, mic two with the acoustic, and using Audacity to mix it into MP3 or something. Who knows.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you and possibly collaborating down the line. Maybe I'll throw up some of my work, a video or lyrics only...I don't know.

Good to meet you all.

[avatar]

hi i just left a message on your page, welcome hope you will have fun here, as you mention - February is when it next All Happens, but there are a few people kicking about

[avatar]

A heartly welcome from me, too!
I too have less skills in making music but I do and have a lit of fun.
Looking forward to read or hear from you in Feb 23!

[avatar]

heyy @sovah8587 ! Glad to have you.
We talk about jitters in fawmtalk, haha.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwUFjLAts98
"just gotta dive in and do it"

[avatar]
@fuzzy

Welcome, @sovah8587!!
Don't be nervous; we are a friendly and helpful bunch!
As well, no need to stress about your lack of "studio equipment" - I myself can't read music either and I use only one $100 microphone, a laptop, and Audacity, so you are already way ahead of me!
As @mahtowin said, it's not really about "the skills", it's about having fun.

[avatar]

Yes, I am in agreement. I joined last year, ;posting myself sitting in front of my computer on You Tube. Now I have the best time listening to the others, reading the comments, and asking questions to find out how something can be done. Welcome to this world of astonishment and achievement.

[avatar]

Welcome to the boards and look forward to hearing you. Plenty of friendly people here to help you with anything re the challenges if you need it. Also friendly enough to not make big deals of your mistakes or mishaps. We’re all kind enough to know we’ve been where you are now too :)

If you search the songs and forums I’m sure you’ll find some people who are in a similar skill level or low tech software and hardware etc.

[avatar]
@zecoop

Welcome (again!)!! You are doing it right so far - jumping in and meeting people, participating in the community is the way to really get the most out of FAWM. I guarantee there are others similar to you or who you will connect with and learn from. I was terrified my first year and had been in bands my whole life. I have learned so much here. My entire approach to writing songs changed for the better. It is one of my favorite times of year!

[avatar]

Welcome @sovah8587 ! as everyone here has said, things will ramp up again in January. But happy to have you (and any other "fawmlings" who've signed up in the "off-season")...

[avatar]

Every Tuesday we do a chill event over Zoom, in case you want to join and say hello: https://fiftyninety.fawm.org/forums/51

[avatar]
@gm7

Hi...welcome back. As @elesimo has indicated we have a weekly zoom call which centers around music...well most of the time!!
Hope to hear from you this Feb.

[avatar]

The zoom call is a good opportunity to get to know fawmers and get an idea of what the challenges are. Some good friendships have formed over the years as a result, I can see that from how positively it’s gone down. Of course there is no pressure to take part in that, it’s an open group and it’s as optional as many of the things are here.

I side what the others have said too that I’ve not only grown as a musician but as a person thanks to fifty ninety and FAWM.

[avatar]

Hi Jared. 😊
Welcome to the best hangout on the 'net.