Gender justice in music business

[avatar]

Just read a newspaper article in the German Times about piano playing that had this study on gender distribution in music making linked: https://malisastiftung.org/en/gender-justice-in-music-business/ It basically says that wherever you look - singing, playing, performing, writing - it's always around 80% men. I would not have expected these numbers. My gut feeling would have been that there are waaay more women and people with non-binary gender in the business.

[avatar]

Hmmm… I’m definitely very aware of the male dominance in the music producer side of things. Often the lingo assumes you’re a guy.

[avatar]

Interesting! I'd like to see the same study for the US, my guess is it wouldn't be much different.
Go figure the judges were overwhelmingly men.

[avatar]

There might be a weird cognitive distortion that causes people to think the ratio is more even than it is: women and nonbinary people are more novel and therefore more noticeable. The rest is just a see of dudes (sorry dudes).

[avatar]
@nadine

@florianhoffmann Can you please send a link to the German article? I'm curious!

[avatar]

@nadine The article is from the culture section, i.e. more about art than business. It recaps the different relationships of “women and the piano” over time. Not sure whether it’s paywalled - doesn’t look like it at least: https://www.zeit.de/kultur/2022-10/klavier-frauen-buergertum-the-piano-jane-campion

[avatar]
@nadine

Thank you! It's been an interesting article.

[avatar]
@jamkar

Only yesterday, I heard this related story on Composers Notebook (npr.org).

Rebecca Clarke gets her due
Synopsis Today's date in 1979 marked the passing, at 93, of a remarkable composer and performer named Rebecca Clarke. Born in Harrow, England, in 1886, she became one of the first female professional orchestral viola players in the United Kingdom, and in 1916 moved to the United States. At a New York recital in 1918, she premiered one of her own compositions under the male pseudonym of "Anthony Trent." While "Trent's" work was praised, the same reviewers largely ignored or dismissed her other works on the same recital, which she programmed under her name. Late in Clarke's life, with the renewal of interest in works by neglected women composers, she enjoyed a major revival of interest in her works, with her Viola Sonata, written in 1919, singled out as a significant achievement. Even so, Clarke wryly remarked to an interviewer that even then "I got one or two press clippings saying that it was impossible, that I couldn't have written [the Viola Sonata] myself. And the funniest review of all was that I didn't exist, and there wasn't any such person as a Rebecca Clarke, that it was a female pseudonym for Ernest Bloch." Music Played in Today's Program Rebecca Clarke (1886-1979) — Vivace, from Viola Sonata (Philip Dukes, viola; Sophia Rahman, piano) Naxos 8.557934

[avatar]

i wanna see more female/trans/etc producers on youtube, but i always get stock suggestions of blokes. seems a shame that i have to go out of my own way to even find such people.
anyone know of any such channels ?

[avatar]
@nadine

I tagged my Bandcamp site as female producer. There are some more who did:

https://bandcamp.com/tag/female-producer

You may find similar tags for other gender and roles. I did the same for YouTube but it's pointless cause their algorithm works with weights and connections. You may see trending videos watched by people like you (demographically, search queries, connections)

[avatar]

I’ll dig deeper on YouTube as the music the ones suggested haven’t been to my taste so far. Interestingly my biases for content creators was slightly heightened seeing a woman using social media marketing tactics, so I can see how my own assumptions could potentially taint future searches if I am not aware of this enough to consider putting aside this bias. But I am acutely aware this is more my fixation on viewing social media progress as exploitation to gain power/money/status which in itself is bigoted and closed minded on the whole. Got work to do

Also I don’t see many suggestions for avant garde females but seem to find commonly the negative discourse over Yoko Ono and her appearance on a tv show that attracts some bigotry in the comments. Interestingly this sparks toxic suggestions which is not what I’m after. I’m after the music not the drama.

I’ll look at that on sound cloud later, @nadine