The Minidisc thread

[avatar]

I know minidiscs were never super popular outside of Japan and some European countries, even though they're amazing... but I wonder if there are people here in the FAWM community who enjoy them?

November 1st will be the 30th anniversary of the minidisc, and there's a lot of events being planned: https://www.minidisc.wiki/community/30th-anniversary/start

I decided to join, and release one of my albums on minidisc for fun. I ordered some blank discs and a vinyl template to print the labels. Homemade, nothing fancy, but I'm excited.

[avatar]

Oh man, I loved those. They gave me real freedom in the late 1990s. My players don't work anymore, though...

[avatar]

@florianhoffmann they are not crazy expensive these days... less than $100 for a good model in working condition. Disks can be found for $3-4. So it's on par with other vintage media hobbies like vinyl and cassettes. 😆

[avatar]

yeah i still have an old minidisk player and a few (some still sealed) discs knocking around, probably not used since last millennium. Great project :)

[avatar]
@aeye

I've heard / seen that some formats like mini disc have been making a bit of a come back in the indie scene.

[avatar]

I have a minidisc recorder here!

[avatar]

I went to see the band Let's Eat Grandma on Friday and they had their latest album available on minidisc. I felt like I should have bought it because I was probably one of the few people there that still had a player (several in fact... bit of a hoarder) but I'd already bought the album on vinyl previously so I resisted.

Anyway, minidiscs are cool!

[avatar]

I just saw a minidisc multitrack recorder on an auction site for not a whole lot of money. It hadn't occurred to me that there might be a market for such a thing.

[avatar]

Ok, here's my first and probably last minidisc release: https://thefishermenandthepriestess.bandcamp.com/merch/exclusive-minidisc

It's an old album from 2019, written during 50/90.

[avatar]
@kiffa

Oh lordy, did I love minidiscs (I have two consoles, but one of them has some issues that make it difficult to use). I used the format mainly as a means of making mixtapes-- the only pre-recorded album that I own a minidisc copy of is Radiohead's "OK Computer". But I have somewhere around 150 self-made 'best of' compilations and expanded editions of albums by some of my favorite artists. I also put a lot of my older music that I recorded in the late '80s and early '90s on minidisc, but honestly it's never occurred to me to put my newer stuff on this format, possibly because I never seem to get enough songs finished in a short enough amount of time to put together a proper 'album'. But I did a few songs during this year's FAWM (and one during 50/90) that are among my favorite things I've done so far, so maybe it's about time to give myself my own new 'best of'.