Resources for Performance Anxiety

[avatar]
@beacon

On a recent Tuesday night call (and in other conversations), the topic of performance anxiety came up, and I just came upon this podcast episode with Ruby Rose Fox on how to use polyvagal nerve theory for getting over anxiety.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/whats-in-a-song/id1593031703?i=1000581841967

She's got an app that helps you out with this at https://www.muscle-music.com.

I've done some research into this, and I find this very helpful.

[avatar]

Thank you for this.

[avatar]

does this podcast require itunes ? can i listen without an account ?
its an interesting topic and im sure very helpful too
jumping on this thread, other disciplines can have some insights into performance anxiety too. some ways of thought are similar in other fields depending on time pressure, skill level, mindset and so on.
depending on what youre into and what your taste is:
you could potentially learn from your favourite sports star how they deal with anxiety. something could be learned
look at how some professions deal with situational pressure, anxiety, the need to be at their best. sometimes theres things to learn from repetition of the same task
just a couple of thoughts, YMMV

[avatar]
@beacon

You can listen to this on your favorite browser @chldomn5

[avatar]

the best cure for performance anxiety is getting paid in advance

[avatar]

@chldomn5 re: Sports - I've always had anxiety before sporting events but once they start I tend to do get lost in the physical which allows me to get the hell out of the mental state of pure terror. It doesn't follow for musical performances. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that nausea was both a precursor to live performance and caused by the anxiety of live performance.

[avatar]

I just found and bookmarked the podcast to listen to this afternoon!
I don't really have performance anxiety, but I do have general anxiety disorder and depression. I see a therapist and do a therapy app.
I'm very interested in the nervous system - I'm an amateur student of the relationships between the nervous system and yoga/meditation/physical activity.
As far as performing - I got to the point, with regular gigs, where I didn't even get the usual butterflies. But my last gig was New Year's Day 2022. It will be interesting to see how I feel before my next one on Thanksgiving Day.

[avatar]

I gave the podcast a listen yesterday and it was well worth it - good for musicians and other artists, and also useful for anyone with deep-rooted anxiety.
And Ruby Rose Fox's music is compelling, too.

[avatar]

this might or might not help - look into philosophy. it could maybe solidify more meaning and passion in your work to get through the block. or it may not, and you might not learn anything.
its mostly a learned discipline in itself - ways of thinking, framing thoughts, and lateral and logical experiments of thought to consider perspectives not currently known
or its a load of rubbish and ive wasted the last 3 years of my life going down a rabbit hole :)

[avatar]

this was posted on another forum, thought id share while its relevant ( ive not listened through it but its about the Alexander Technique

https://audioboom.com/posts/8184648-hazel-mills-goldfrapp-florence-the-machine-birdy