What is more annoying?

[avatar]

when you receive a comment from someone who hasnt listened to the song or when someone listens to the song but does not comment?

[avatar]

How do you know someone has listened if they do not comment? I must admit, I am guilty of the latter. For example, I have listened to dozens of @wolfkier songs in his albums, but not commented on each one. They are all so wonderful, saying that a dozen times seems like I cannot think of anything useful to say. Which is true.

[avatar]
@fuzzy

The first option is pretty inexcusable.
The second option might happen for a number of reasons.

[avatar]

How do you know that someone has or hasn't listened? I try not to worry too much about these things, but I admit to being annoyed by one-word comments like, "Nice."

[avatar]

bandcamp keeps a tally of each song's listens. so if i receive a comment and that song has received no listens, i know the person who commented has not listened. bandcamp also tells you if they have only listened to the first 10% of the song. if they listened beyond that but stopped before reaching the final 10%, or if they listened to the complete song. i agree with @fuzzy. i have no complaint against someone not leaving a comment. i listen to a lot of songs but have nothing to say in response to them. but when they comment without listening, that is inexcusable. when i directed hamlet, the critic from the boston herald left at intermission but made negative comments about scenes in the second half of the show, which he didnt see. that really pissed me off.

[avatar]

@billwhite51 with bandcamp not all listens are accounted for. If someone has the right configuration of VPN and blockers. I've received some amazingly complex comments from some people but no listens shown. You know who you are. :) I'm not sure it shows plays on their apps either (?)
Personally I'm more glad to have a helpful comment than worry about none left. And I'm grateful for the many listens I find in my stats than how they compare to comments. It tells me people "care"enough to keep tabs. :)
Also I get the feeling that there are some folks here that just listen to everything without comment. God bless them.

@mandolinda thank you so much for your (always) support and kind words. As I've said to you before, I can "feel" that your listening and that's a comforting and encouraging feeling. :)

[avatar]
@nadine

Definitely commenting on a song you haven't listened. Happens a couple of times on SoundCloud. It's just seeking for attention. I'm OK with mutual commenting but this is rude cause they're taking my precious time and energy.

[avatar]

I read somewhere that some views don’t get listed in some windows, because each section of the site can have a different number tally listed ( at least it’s more likely the case on YouTube ). Sometimes they update them another time.
I haven’t considered this question until now. I’ve found that the more comments a song has had on fawm, the higher the overall views by a long shot on those YT and Soundcloud links. Im not sure what works and what doesn’t for getting more views as I’ve only tried a few times to attempt to “click bait” views or listens if that’s the right word ? I’ve recently seen my panic and anxiety has been relieved after seeing there has been excessive Zongs this time. So my worry over animosity has been dampened by that reality check. So I guess no listens and no comments is more emotion rising for me. But it’s my own bed I’ve made because I don’t expect people to listen and also don’t work on quality or market or anything.
Out of the two, comments with no views. Because it’s happened once and it was confusing hehe

[avatar]

And let’s not forget the naked women who comment so you visit their profile. https://fiftyninety.fawm.org/songs/2161 🤣 And maybe the (naked, too?) digital marketing service providers. 🙃

[avatar]

@florianhoffmann you had me at naked women. Gonna listen now...

[avatar]

I use spam blockers and a VPN (sometimes) in order to have a happier browsing experience. I know I had to whitelist spotify in order for it to work properly (at least on one of the extensions.)

[avatar]

The former bothers me more. Not only does the comment not add any value (in terms of insight, encouragement, social connection or reward for your efforts), but it sets you up with the expectation that someone has engaged with something you created, then disappoints you, which is deflating. It shows that the person left a comment purely in their own interest, which is why the perennial argument that we should be grateful that anyone took the time to comment doesn't land well with me.

There's a third bugbear, which I'm more ambivalent about: those who, whether willfully or accidentally, either miss the point or view the song through their own overly-rigid lens, leading them to dispense unsolicited (and usually patronising) advice. This is more irritating at the time. However, the gift of time usually reveals the helpful intentions behind the comment, which can be strengthening - or reveals the bigotry of the commenter, reducing them to an annoyance you can at least feel free to ignore.

[avatar]
@fuzzy

@stephenwordsmith, it has helped me immensely in my life to believe that almost everybody I encounter has good intentions. Sometimes misguided, but well-meant.

[avatar]

@fuzzy: Sure, and I imagine most people reading this don't attribute comments they don't like to malice on principle. FAWM/5090 would be a much stormier place if they did.

It's just important to recognise that there are perverse incentives for commenting, and also that someone's 'good intentions' may well be paving the road to a hell that they're dragging a participant into, which the participant may well find annoying (see: the central question in the thread).

[avatar]

I was listening to one of my songs yesterday (I do that a lot!), and I came across one of those short "nice" comments @rayboneor mentioned. The person who gave it actually listens to many of my songs and usually gives thoughtful comments, so I figure he really did like it and just didn't have much else to add.
And I totally agree that most people here have good intentions in their commenting! I will occasionally get a well-intentioned suggestion, but what the person leaving the suggestion probably doesn't know is that I seldom - almost never - re-visit my songs to change them.
Oh, as for the original question of this thread - one reason I keep my songs short (3 1/2 minutes would be a long one for me) is that it makes folks more likely to listen all the way through. And I'm sure I've gotten some listens-but-no-comments, but I have no way of knowing with the file hosting I use here.

[avatar]
@gm7

I try and listen to songs in their entirety . Certain genres I have very little base knowledge and therefore I tend to leave comments on production quality. I do listen to songs and make no comment, so.... I am guilty on that account, And yes @chipwithrow, I do listen to my own songs because when someone leaves a detailed comment on one of my songs I have to listen to again to hone in their comment...i am old I do forget songs that I have written on July 10th and a new comment pops up on Sep 10th. 😁
I always try to highlight a positive element to each song I listen to....it may not the correct technical musical term but most 5090/FAMWer can figure out what I was saying. This is a great community!! Keep commenting! I believe the site goes dormant Oct 31 so there is amble time to listen/read to some excellent muisic / lyrics

[avatar]

I try to always leave a comment. However, if the genre is really one that I find painful to listen to, I will simply slip away without a comment. No point in saying: "I don't like this genre!" what does that add? I have occasionally stuck around and tried to be open to genres I am not into and have often been surprised enough to stick to the end and then I have commented positively.

I would never make a comment on a track I haven't listened to. I can't understand anyone who does that! What do they gain by it?