Live Delay - How To??

[avatar]
@fuzzy

Hi there, I need your help!!
Yesterday I watched a fascinating and informative interview with Terry Riley (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RecyPeq2I28) and he was using a live delay system to show how he developed his organ pieces.
Frustratingly, the interviewer (Henry Kaiser, if you're interested) was manipulating the system below the level of the camera, so I couldn't see what what was going on there.
I'd love to play around with something like that but don't know how to access such a thing.
Perhaps you can help me, as I am a babe in the woods when it comes to a lot of music technology (mostly by choice).
I'd like to keep it as low-tech and as easy to use as possible, preferably an actual physical piece of hardware with actual knobs to twiddle. Computer programs, plugins, etc., aren't really my thing.
I do not have any instruments with USB plugs, and I use Audacity, if that helps (or makes it more challenging).
Sooo.... Any advice here?
Thanks in advance!

[avatar]

I would imagine that Henry has a digital delay that can sync to a beat so that rather than needing maths when you're inputting delay times in milliseconds, it'll be set to note lengths at that BPM. A lot of physical delay pedals do this these days and nearly all VST delays will. The first example is just a long delay (probably set to one bar); the second sounds like it's a dotted eighth-note delay, like Dave Gilmour uses in "Run Like Hell" or EVH used in "Cathedral" or The Edge uses on pretty much all of U2's stuff (and I've used it on bucketloads of tracks this summer...) Then Terry switches back to using longer delays again; sounds like it's a whole-note delay. As Terry says, "it's not rocket science!"

[avatar]

I used a Memory Man by EHX when I had a live guitar rig. It was pretty good! There are a few tape delay emulators out there.

Plug-in wise, Valhalla and Arturia make REALLY good delay effects. Valhalla's Supermassive and Frequency Echo are free and make some interesting sounds

[avatar]

Some of the old analogue, bucket brigade delay units are fun to mess with. Not sure what secondhand prices are like, but they can give all sorts of great tape-like effects by sweeping the delay times as the notes are playing.
Just looked on Amazon, and there's a Behringer VD400 for under 25GBP...

[avatar]
@fuzzy

Thank you everyone so far, some great suggestions.
Yeah, I'm looking for something like stringing two reel-to-reels together but with more convenient hardware.
Maybe I should buy a cheap delay pedal to start, just to play around with. Start cheap and refine my needs for something more expensive, if needed.
@dragondreams, even though the Behringer VD400 sounds like a robot with an STI, that might be the way to go.

[avatar]

If you're performing live, you should make sure the delay unit you get has a tap tempo function (you tap the appropriate switch with your foot as you're playing, and it does all the maths to stay in sync with your performance.) The Boss DD-3T and the TC Electronic Flashback 2 both look like they'd fit the bill, and they're not OMG expensive, either.

[avatar]

I have a Flashback II. It's a very fine sounding delay/looper. Runs stereo if you want. Has presets and you can download tons more. . Be sure to get the AC adapter 'cause it eats batteries like a piranha. Tap tempo requires extra switch.