Unexpected Influences

[avatar]
@cblack

So, I have plenty of musical influences. I love metal and goth, and my favourite guitarist (my main instrument) is metal (Michael Amott of Arch Enemy). But! There's one guitarist who has been a recent influence. Joe Bonamassa.

I only have 1 of his CDs so far, but he is freakin' incredible! I've never been a blues person, but Joe Bonamassa is mind-blowing. Instant fan.

So... What unexpected influences have you had? Something you didn't see coming, but hit home instantly?

[avatar]
@nadine

Interesting thread, thanks!

Last year my rock and metal music has been compared to the bands Cold, Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss and Crypta. I don't listen to them, so I had to check them out and instantly enjoyed.

It's hard for me to list my real influences cause my listening behaviour comes in phases and is all over the place... exept for that I mostly stick to the 2000s...

[avatar]

ballad of davy crockett (fess parker), thunder road (robert mitchum) return to sender (elvis presley), the wanderer (dion) , i apologize (billy eckstine) house of the rising sun (the animals), get off my cloud (rolling stones), ferry across the mersey (gerry and the pacemakers), incredible string band (maya). frank zappa (brown shoes dont make it), bass strings (country joe and the fish), tales of brave ulysses (cream) the end (the doors) chances are (johnny mathis) when i fall in love (nat king cole) i cover the waterfront (billie holiday) alabama (john coltrane) ida lupino (paul bley) moon river (andy williams) ill never fall in love again (the carpenters) writer in the sun (donovan) black sheep boy (tim hardin) goobye and hello (tim buckley) rehearsals for retirement (phil ochs), pretty vacant (sex pistols) changing of the gaurds (bob dylan), peaches (the stranglers) bad girls (donna summer) the way we were (barbra streisand), the stranger song (leonard cohen) america (paul simon) miles runs the voodoo down (miles davis) wuthering heights (kate bush) i confess (english beat) man out of time (elvis costello) sins of a family (pf sloan) kentucky avenue (tom waits) my country tis of thy people you're dying (buffy st marie) joan baez (sweet sir galahad), prince (i could never take the place of your man, james brown (it's a mans mans world) smokey robinson (tracks of my tears). bruce springsteen (thunder road) lou reed (romeo had juliette), suede (trash). morrissey (first of the gang to die) blur (end of a century) pulp (common people) sleeper (sale of the century), florence and the machine (ship to wreck) nick cave (mercy seat), johnny cash (i walk the line) merle haggard (kern river) ,george jones (he stopped loving her today), kris kristofferson (lovin her was easier) hank williams (pictures from life's other side), abbey lincoln (people in me), nwa (fuck the police),, the fugs (virgin forest) pink floyd (see emily play), a sorta fairy tale (tori amos).

[avatar]

Expected: Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, etc

Unexpected: Arto Lindsay, Chris Whitley, Eno

[avatar]

Someone I spoke with was surprised that I like some rappers. Not many people know that I like classical music too. Prefer it when driving sometimes. Much more relaxing than “relaxing playlist” song searches imho.
A young lady in the bar was annoyed that I sang a Paramore tune on kareoke. She said out loud “how come HE is singing that!? This is OUR music!” Lol
Tbf I do like shattering expectations sometimes

[avatar]

To me "influences" means something that actually affects my writing or production etc., Just because I like it doesn't mean it's an influence. This question is so hard because I'm not entirely sure I can even identify them. I know I was very surprised, years ago, when people heard some Neil Young in some of my music. But I think it makes sense based on past listening patterns. (I'm pretty sure he's mostly banished these days.)

[avatar]
@cblack

Oh, I agree @tcelliott . I'm talking about influences rather than just things I like. Bonamassa has become an instant influence for me. His music is so natural that I've absorbed it into my soul. My lighter guitar playing has morphed considerably. It used to be "same as the metal playing, but modulation instead of distortion", and now the lighter playing is starting to be its own thing for me.

I have very few actual influences, but Joe Bonamassa is one, rather unexpectedly. 😀

[avatar]

Mine has been our very own @fuzzy!
I've always liked his stuff, but recently found myself doing deeper dives into my own material and listening for the music within the music.

[avatar]

It wasn't until @atitlan pointed it out but I now realise that I have been massively influenced by Half Man Half Biscuit's approach to songwriting. Definitely didn't see that coming.

[avatar]

Interesting thread!
In one of my first tracks I was compared with Laurie Anderson. I didn‘t heard from her before that : https://on.soundcloud.com/eKfqpMG5A1kwciYs8
A really big influence which I didn‘t expected and which leads me into Ambient music was a FAWMler @safred.
In 21 we did a few wonderful collabs joining my poems with his music.
This is also a result for me to my way to make music: the combination of ambient background and spoken words/poems becomes more and more my style.

[avatar]

I've been pondering for a couple of days what to write here!
I appreciate the distinction made between influences and music we like. And the music I like but is not an obvious influence has also found its way into my songs.
I think it's obvious from my songs that I'm influenced by old country and blues, bluegrass, Bob Dylan and Grateful Dead. Less obvious, but still influences that go way back, are Sam Cooke and Elton John.
As far as the varied music I like that creeps into my music:
I've adapted Black Sabbath and Frank Zappa guitar riffs and an opera melody into banjo licks.
I've adapted a Led Zeppelin riff (which they borrowed from James Brown) and Steely Dan chord voicings in my keyboard playing.
I love horn sections in 60s and 70s soul music, and since I don't have horn players handy, I've used keyboard and vocal sounds to approximate.
And one group I absolutely adore that hasn't made it into my songs (yet) is ABBA.

[avatar]

I will never be able to sing like Whitney, but like most girls that grew up in the 90s, she was "IT"! For vocalists it was always Tori Amos, Maynard James Keenan, Fiona Apple, Beth Gibbons, Elizabeth Fraser, Dolores O'Riordan, PJ Harvey, Joan Armatrading, and Hope Sandoval. David Bowie, Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Beck, and Trent Reznor are my favorite artists. Bands? The Cure, Radiohead, and Sigur Ros. These are the most influential for me.

[avatar]

Ditto what @billwhite51 said. @mahtowin - I was also compared to Laurie Anderson who I was not familiar with so I did a couple purposely in her style,, which was so fun! This is what I love about this community. Must check out your stuff!

[avatar]

@katestantonsings You know Sigur Ros!!! I discovered them first about nearly 15 years ago by my daughter. Then again last year. And I love their music so much … sometimes it seems to me it isn‘t made on earth!

[avatar]

Ahh, Sigur Ros!
Just got into them this year and I recently really got into The Decemberists as well.
Not sure that they have influenced my music yet???

[avatar]

@mahtowin and @resonut123 I highly recommend seeing Sigur Ros live if you get the chance! Jonsi's voice is ethereal and he plays a bowed guitar. With the reverb and bass bouncing all around--creates a heavenly vibe!

[avatar]
@gubna

Brian Eno

[avatar]
@fuzzy

I've only discovered Terry Riley in the past year (I know; he's someone you'd think I should have been aware of a few decades ago).
His tunes immediately struck a chord with me (no pun intended there!) and I realized that I've been producing tracks in the same spirit as his for quite a while now.
I've posted two Riley-inspired tracks so far this summer (one's even called "Terry Riley Is My Spirit Animal").
I'm absolutely loving discovering his music; it's the kind of sounds I've been looking for my entire life.
So yeah, Terry Riley and drone and minimalist music in general.