A bit early to ask however… Site hibernation ?

[avatar]

Will it be with immediate effect after the challenge ? Or is there plans for the site to be on year round ?

[avatar]

definitely not year-round, but 5090 will probably go into hibernation around november 1, and then relaunch for FAWM sometime mid-january.

[avatar]

Cheers @burrsettles i was wondering if you knew ballpark figure on close date

[avatar]

@burrsettles Will there be an archive feature and, if so, when can we do that? Thank you!

[avatar]

@sbs2018 we'll try to roll out an archive feature (like FAWM) well before then. but no ETA for that at the moment...

[avatar]

@sbs2018 and others: the archive feature (pretty bare-bones) is now live.

you can find it in the popup menu in the lower left (or the drop-down menu at the top if you're on mobile). in includes all your songs, comments, and profile messages. cheers!

[avatar]

@burrsettles Can it be tweaked to include the lyrics for the songs? Thanks!

[avatar]

Thank you @burrsettles Awesome!

[avatar]

@metalfoot sorry for the oversight. lyrics should be there now!

[avatar]

Hooray for an extra month to listen and for the archive functionality. Thank you so much for creating this wonderful world.

[avatar]

Thanks @burrsettles !

[avatar]

Forgive my ignorance of things like this, but is there a cost involved in keeping the site up longer than November? I mean do you have to pay so much a month or something to keep it live?

[avatar]

@greengrassgirl great question. while the hosting is expensive (and about 10X more expensive now than it was prior to this year's 5090, due to the entirely rewritten software that makes it more easily maintainable), the bigger issue is that traffic and activity dials back to <5% of what it is during the actual FAWM/5090 events. this makes sense, as FAWM/5090 is really a "summer camp vibes" sort of online community, rather than a more conventional online forum.

however, spammers and hackers don't rest so it ends up taking about the same amount of energy from myself and the volunteer moderators during the off-season, even though donations stop coming in, and 95% fewer fawmers are active.

so i've made the decision (for the foreseeable future) to just keep the sites up for ~1 month after each event closes so that folks can listen, comment, and archive... and then take it down to give myself and others a rest. :)

thanks for understanding!

[avatar]

I DO understand, and I thank you for your answer and for your commitment to the site. Your efforts make it all possible for the rest of us. 😀

[avatar]

what happens now? this whole site and all the songs disappear forever? I'm good either way, but if so, that is actually amazing and makes me love this even more. I still have no idea exactly what is happening here, but it keeps getting more interesting. :)

[avatar]
@fuzzy

Ah, that's terrible about the spammers.

[avatar]

Yup important to archive. It's fun to look back sometimes. It's good now it's up and working I always do first archive now in case anything crops up and I can't get around to doing it! Thx for fixing the lyric issue as well!

[avatar]
@nadine

@burrsettles Thanks for clarifying! Do you already know when exactly the site goes on hibernation? I'd like to save the comments the latest as possible, thanks!

Kudos to all people involved keeping this site up, running and spam free.

[avatar]

@nadine Typically a warning is given a few days before shutdown.

[avatar]

@dakotavsky that's right, the website resets with a virtually clean slate with every FAWM/5090. accounts and watchlists (followers) remain intact, but songs, comments, and forums are flushed and each even starts fresh.

@nadine as previously stated, probably around nov 1, but if history is any guide i'll be a few days late in shutting things down. but as @metalfoot said, we'll send out warnings/reminders over social media and probably email in the days leading up...