Approaching month 3!! how's everyone doing ?

[avatar]

I opted to do mini collections of albums, because my productivity surprised me this time. much more quality as i intended, but was only expected 10 songs done by the end. now im just seeing how i feel day by day.

ive reached 50 unofficially but i only count listings, because thats what it takes for completion on fawm/5090

not about the numbers for me however, once i get the bug i know i can rattle off songs. im just lazy in quality! hehe

anyone got any plans for the final stretch ? are you opting out due to committments ? got a final project to rush out 300 songs in the last two days ?? making the longest song in the book of records ???

i have a couple ideas:
1. to do improv guitarlele and singing cr*p art albums to boost my numbers, using covers ive made already and slopping em onto youtube.
2. the other is to perhaps, if i feel up to it and dont give up due to laziness, to record straight into the pc with a mic and build up a song ( rather than dictaphone raw takes )

[avatar]

Congrats with how you're going about this 50/90, @chldomn5! Cool that you've unofficially reached 50! I'm officially at 32 and see well my 50 in the distance. Best to you in the homestretch!

[avatar]

Well, I've set a personal record...fewest songs ever during a 50/90. I have only 2 so far! But September is going to be significantly less busy due to some life changes so who knows? I might knock out another song or three!

[avatar]

Currently at 19. I'm probably going to end up with this 50/90 being a half marathon - 25 seems a likely finish point. I'll be happy with that - I came into 50/90 this year not knowing whether I had any songs in me at all.

[avatar]

I think both lyrics and songs I have 115. I hope to get more collabs

[avatar]
@nadine

Congrats to all who accomplished 50 songs or have real chance to get there!

I've stopped writing songs. My September will be waiting for stems, organising and mixing. I hope I can update some songs and upload the remaining collaborations. This will also be the plan for the rest of this year...

[avatar]

The funeral in Britain I attended and the chaos of the subsequent "holiday" with weird family goings on, flight cancellations at airports, rail strikes, etc, threw me a major curve ball, but, like @atitlan, I hope to complete a half marathon, at least.

[avatar]
@cblack

Only 6 so far. 2 collabs in the works, waiting on me to get enough energy. Another 3 sets of lyrics that could potentially become songs. So all up, 11 at most.

Not feeling it this year. My head's all over the place. But I'm gonna aim for, say, 15? I'll be happy with that.

Also, my listening has fallen way behind.

[avatar]

I kinda took the last week off. I was not feeling physically all that good.

But it's looking better, I'm working on a collab and might do something tomorrow I have a vague idea for.

[avatar]

i have 11 songs, one is posted lyrics-only - i have lyrics to set to music for a collab i did on zoom last night with @kahlo2013 (that was fun - i will try for more of those, i just posted on forums that i was in a zoom room for a collab right now and lovely Liz showed up :) ) There is also a collab for the digital 4 track challenge that i have done lyrics and my part so that will take it up to 13. a few collabs in the pipeline and september i will carry on at a similar pace i think. ie fairly slow. i am enjoying the length of this 5090 much more than previously for some reason. and i have found a pace that feels comfortable and don't feel the usual pressure i feel. so a lovely 5090 for me :)

[avatar]

After COVID derailed the first half of the challenge for me, I was hoping to pick things back up for a strong finish after my holiday. But on the first day back I fell down the stairs and now I've been in pain for a solid week. Not having the best 50/90! But I've written a lyric and hoping I'll manage one or two more songs before the end.

[avatar]

@vomvorton oh no! hope you feel better soon

[avatar]
@wacha

I went into 50/90 saying that I wasn't going to try to hit the 50 song mark. I have a lot of medical appointments and am also trying to get a fair amount of music done outside of 50/90. I am part of at least 3 more collabs that I have to finish and do want to take part in some more skirmished. I may also go through some of the songs I worked on earlier and flesh them out rather than just into even more new songs that get put in my "to be finished" pile.

I have 10 songs as of now and as Blanche Devereaux once said, "It was a personal triumph."

I'm considering my restraint this year as a personal win!

[avatar]

@wacha my restraint was my outlook over fawm. i learned i do know i can be happy even with just 5 songs made over the challenge.

@vomvorton i hope things improve for you soon! its great youve got some stuff done even with all youve gone through. i dont think i can create when im not in the right frame of mind and bodily health. definatelty use time to rest when you have to. we cant ignore our bodies when theyre telling us to rest, i had to learn this when i got covid.

whether youre prolific or a quality over time producer.. keep on keeping on, do your thing. we wont judge if you can only do 1 song, or write a 4 line poem. success is doing a lil more than you did before in the case of 0 creations versus = 1.

[avatar]

I am still very satisfied and happy with my results yet. I did 13 tacks. Some in German and some really experimental and a bit weird. I really love to do this!
And I am very grateful for all those comments I have received. So suprised that there are people here who listen to even my strangest music!
Thank you all for that! I am so happy to be here! ❤️

[avatar]

While I'm happy with what I've got out, it's way less than I hoped, too many other things happening. What I'm not happy with is that I haven't listened or commented a lot so far and that's unlikely to change (see "many other things happening") Life gets in the way. At least Death hasn't, touch wood...

[avatar]
@beacon

I started out strong, and a lot of life has gotten in the way the past month. I think I've got 10, and I have a few more collabs in the works, and I hope to move a few more things forward. My goal for 50/90 wasn't a number, but just to stretch myself and have fun. I've done that in different ways, so I think I'm still "winning" 50/90 from my perspective.

[avatar]

According to the blog I wrote at the time, last year the challenge ended with 5,194 songs posted on the site on October 2nd. As of this morning, this year's count has passed 7,500. That's a pretty amazing difference.

[avatar]

I've done...basically nothing this 50/90.

I went on a fishing trip with my co-workers last weekend and I basically just played guitar the whole time so I have a ton of new ideas...but I haven't had a good time to record anything. I'm hoping to record more next month, but I'm already in Rocktober mode! I hope we do that in some capacity this year, there are many songs I want to cover. Might help me get my juice back.

[avatar]

@headfirstonly - Interesting statistic, and yes, an amazing difference.
Interesting to read others' life-gets-in-the-way posts - I've had those moments of not feeling it, too. Although I'm not going to list them, I count 6 distinct events that have slowed my pace.
It wouldn't be apparent from the 39 songs I've posted, but that's a bit of a decline for me. And less listening and commenting, too. What's kept my song number up is the bursts of writing and recording - 3 or 4 songs at a time.
One of these years I'd like to do a half-5090 or less and see how that relaxed pace feels.

[avatar]

Last year - my first reaching the goal of 50 - I did 60 songs and was so burned out, I almost didn’t do FAWM. This year I started early because of the cross-country move and temp living quarters. I think I’m at 45 (3 or 4 of those were collabs and a couple were a remix of another song) and I think 40 is a good number of solos for me. Whenever I get the urge to try one more, I realize it sounds like some other song and I don’t want to do something I’m not excited about in the moment. I’m content with what I’ve done.

[avatar]

Still stuck at 2 but quite happy with both of them! Hoping to bang out at least a couple more in September.

[avatar]
@kyrla

Have had some pretty bad burnout this month after finishing my Modern Technic album so 50 is out of sight, but I'm back into it for my cover of Music for 18 Musicians so that should get me up to 23, hopefully a couple side things here and there will get me to the half-marathon 25.

[avatar]

[avatar]
@gm7

Wow @vomvorton I hope you recover soon. @wacha what ever you put up I will listen..take it easy.
My goal to write a few songs and do a few collabs. I have 16 posted and all were fun to do..with 12 being collabs...so I guess I am winner.

[avatar]

I'm definitely slowing down, and work is about to get busy (students coming back this week...) but I have enough nearly finished that I'm sure I'll get to 40, which is pleasing.

I haven't done 50/90 before, but I guess this is normal - I raced out of the blocks in July but it's hard to maintain the same enthusiasm for 3 months!

[avatar]

I have 32 songs at the moment so I'm halfway there.

[avatar]

@jtsteam - Very hard indeed to maintain high enthusiasm. That's why I tend to write songs in bunches - three or four in a couple days. 50/90 is well-suited to that.
And I was a school teacher, too, for the first six years I did 50/90. Fond memories of six weeks of summer at the beach, just doing beach things and writing songs.
I've revved up for September - goals are 18 songs (5 so far) and to give 200 comments.

[avatar]

I am soooo unhappy at my listening/commenting....way way down. Doesn't help that the universe-eating-kitchen rebuild means I can't be at the computer much and can't therefor listen much, but I still feel bad about it.

[avatar]
@fuzzy

I'm doing OK; to my surprise I've just noticed that I have 28 songs on my list!
Still going, too. Not sure what is gonna come next, but the music is definitely still there waiting for me to do something with it.
Trying to do a lot of Commenting, as well, though it's difficult for me without the "Comments Given" counter, so I have no idea where I am there, but I'm sure it's at least a few hundred.

[avatar]

interesting how our expectations can impact our experience. i found the comment count was an incentive for me to do it. i feel less pressure to do so, however commenting and listening to get comments and listens back is how it works!

[avatar]
@mikeb

16 songs, including 3 collabs, which is more than I expected - my usual output (except in February) is 1 song a month!

[avatar]
@gubna

I'm hanging in there. It's been a rough year for me - health-wise - but both FAWM and 50-90 have been great to keep my mind off other things. A way to focus! I've written a bunch of weird things, and there's a whole bunch of things I still haven't finished or worked on. After working on a computer during the day, I really have a hard time thinking about looking at the computer after the work day is over.

One thing that has kept me going with creating - whether it's music, writing, painting, or whatever - is this statement:

"You have to do it. Even if someone else did their version. It's not your version. DO IT!"

[avatar]
@andrea

I am happy with my 50/90 so far. I won't make 50 but am happy plugging along. I have a bunch of collaborations I love and that makes it worthwhile. I miss more skirmishes but have been unavailable for most. Hoping some of my lyrics will get picked up. In the meantime, I will keep writing.

[avatar]

...way, way, way behind.

[avatar]
@lowhum

about 20ish. not quite very impossible