Stem-Sharing Corpse

[avatar]

EDIT/UPDATE now that we've hashed out better how this will work:
If you get in line, I'll send you a :30 sec. to 1 min. stem from the person before you (along with optional bonus 104 BPM click track) to build your multi-track song onto, with one of your new tracks extending another :30-1min for the next person in line to build their part onto. Kind of like bricks overlapping.

When done you'll send your part to me, @gardeningangel1 , because I am a ruthless dictator... I mean, because it will make it easier for me as stitcher.

ORIGINAL POST: This is probably already a thing and if anyone knows a name for it please enlighten me. Meantime, I'll call it a Stem-Sharing Corpse.
The idea is to record a one to two minute piece with multiple parts, and have one of those parts extend out another minute or so for the next person in line to build their piece on, and so on.
Ideally players have multi-track recording capabilities but a singer/guitar player (for example) with only one track recording could record a two-minute piece with just guitar for the second minute and send that guitar-only part on to the next person. Lyrics-only folks can team up with other players to collaborate on a segment.
I'll do the stitching if no one else volunteers. So who wants to play?
(Looking at you, @wolfkier πŸ˜‰ )

1. @gardeningangel1 music @nancycunning lyrics DONE
2. @wolfkier DONE
3. @kahlo2013 DONE
4. @ferry0123 DONE
5. @fuzzy < on deck

[avatar]

@gardeningangel1 Me please.
So do we send the next person the whole thing with 1 minute extension, or just the extension?
And what about maybe 30 second maximum to keep momentum? Suggestion?

[avatar]

@wolfkier I'm thinking just the one-minute stem to the next person, to keep it interesting and make it easier to stitch. Maybe I should just have all parts sent to me and I'll distribute the stems so everything cues up correctly. And so I can go mad with power.
Not sure what you mean by 30 sec. maximum... each piece will include the one-minute stem from the person prior as well as the one minute stem for the person after. I don't expect there to be so many players that the whole piece gets to be too long. If so, I could start a second group.
If we get enough players we could do one with more proper guidelines, like a set key and BPM, and another that's just pure experimental anarchy.

Thinking more about people who can only record one track, they would still need a way to cue where there track should line up with the stem they're building off of. But that's a problem we haven't gotten to yet.

[avatar]

@gardeningangel1 I just meant you do a 30 second song and extend, say, the drums, 3o seconds. the next person builds on the drum part and send theirs and 30 seconds of their bass, or whatever, to the next who builds on that.
So you're saying, just send the "extension" no other music? That would work too. But for your sanity, I strongly recommend you set a BPM. Early GIMME15s used on kick track throughout.... so in this case the "extension" would be kick plus something. it made stitching so much more bareable. You could suggest a key too. But as you will. I'll play by the rules you set. Here's a link to a 103BPM kick 4/4 if want to use it
. https://soundcloud.com/wolf-kier/gimme15requiem-kicktrack-104bpm

But I'm happy to play by any rules you set.

[avatar]

@wolfkier since so far you're the only other player, I'll share my power-wielding and we'll use 104 BPM. That's a good idea. I'll start it off if no one else volunteers.
Aim for each segment to be 1-2 minutes TOTAL (meaning :30-1min. built onto the stem from the previous person, plus :30-1min. stem to hand off to the next person). Because sometimes a riff just wants what it wants, you know?
If no one else joins in, we can toss the ball back and forth a couple times.

And if anyone wants to play the anarchy version we can do that, too.

[avatar]

@gardeningangel1 ok, know I think I know how to watusi! Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsYA8Gr5NTY

wolftusi?

[avatar]
@fuzzy

I am interested but am not sure I have the energy for this!!
I think I know what you mean; tracks overlapping each other, like two rows of bricks in a brick wall?

[avatar]

Oh! This sounds fun! Please count me in music and/or lyrics!

[avatar]

@wolfkier nice tights. Kerpow!
@kahlo2013 Welcome in!
@fuzzy Like bricks, exactly!! If you want I can give you a holler when we're near the end and see if you have the steam to add the last track.

[avatar]

This sounds super cool. If anyone needs lyrics, I'm happy to help out.

[avatar]
@fuzzy

Yes, I'll keep checking back here!

[avatar]

I'm going to start this in the next day or two, just giving it a bump to see if anyone else wants to join in. @nancycunning I'm a bit lacking in lyrical inspiration, do you want to send me something to start this off with? (if you see this in the next day or so, otherwise I'll forge on ahead). Not tooooo wordy, my voice is fickle these days.

[avatar]

@gardeningangel1 - of course. I'd love to write something for you, and not too wordy is a good reminder. If you have any themes or anything let me know. I'll plan to send you some options to choose from.

[avatar]

@ferry0123 come play....

[avatar]

@wolfkier @gardeningangel1 Sounds like a fun playground. I'm in! Both spot 4 and 5 are all right with me.

[avatar]

@ferry0123 Welcome in! I've added you to the list :)

[avatar]

Ok, I got it. Gimme a couple days @kahlo2013

[avatar]

The baton has been passed to @kahlo2013
Still room for more if anyone else wants to join!

[avatar]

No spoilers but this is shaping up really nicely. And moving fast!
Stem has been sent to @ferry0123
Still room and time for one or two more ( @fuzzy ?)

[avatar]
@fuzzy

Count me in! πŸ˜€

[avatar]

@gardeningangel1 what's going on with this? I'm dying to hear it! :)

[avatar]

@wolfkier good question, same here.
@ferry0123 , how's your part going?

[avatar]

:S Here's a delayed update... I just sent my part to you, @gardeningangel1 ... great to hear @fuzzy is counted in.

[avatar]

@ferry0123 Got it! I think we went just enough off the rails to keep things interesting. Final stem being sent to @fuzzy for the final finalizing. Finally. πŸ˜„

[avatar]

Hey I was thinking. I feel maybe that @gardeningangel1 wants to close this out BUT would it be fun to "turn this ship around?"
I'm not sure where it's at right now or how long it is (4-5 mins) but I know @fuzzy 's gonna do something magical .... so I was thinking, and I'm happy if we don't, but I wanted to put it out there, we could make @fuzzy's bit the center pivot stone and then go back in reverse order to the starters.... so fuzzy hands an extension to @ferry0123 (who'll have loads of time on his hands after Sunday LOL) and then @kahlo2013 , me, and back to @gardeningangel1 and our @nancycunning (who might even reverse their roles with @gardeningangel1 lyrics and @nancycunning music....
Idea? Or not? Just putting it out there.
Loving this idea, BTW, and really keen to hear it when complete.

@gardeningangel1 music @nancycunning lyrics DONE
2. @wolfkier DONE
3. @kahlo2013 DONE
4. @ferry0123 < next up
5. @fuzzy....

[avatar]

@wolfkier I'm not up for all that, but it could be quite an endeavor for anyone who is! As it is my vague directions sent us off on a siding and the final stem ended up getting pulled from the middle of the train so the ship did end up almost as turned around as my mixed metaphors.
@fuzzy will do something great, I know it.

[avatar]

@gardeningangel1 That's fine...I just put it out there.... OK... then we should have something very yummy quite soon! Thanks for doing this, my friend. Great idea an twist on the regular.

[avatar]
@fuzzy

I'll download this today and get to work.
So to be clear, I don't need to leave extra stem cos mine is the final part, yes?

[avatar]

@fuzzy yes, that is correct.

[avatar]
@fuzzy

πŸ˜€

[avatar]
@fuzzy

I'm slowly trying to get a handle on how to finish this, but it's still definitely on my agenda. Feeling somewhat uninspired lately, sorry!

[avatar]

Thanks for the update @fuzzy ! Godspeed your Muse to clock back in soon.

[avatar]

Great idea, and great realization @gardeningangel1
Well done to all involved. It's quite a corpse we contributed to! This one is weilding an axe! :)
Sign me up for any subsequent ones. Happily~ !

[avatar]

Great idea, and great realization @gardeningangel1
Well done to all involved. It's quite a corpse we contributed to! This one is weilding an axe! :)
Sign me up for any subsequent ones. Happily~ !