Rocktober (in house?)

[avatar]

Last year Rocktober had to be somewhere else, not on the 5090 site, and I know a few people (with some regret) couldn't or wouldn't go on facebook or wherever it was held. I missed it very much. Will it be held on site this year? I hope so. Can someone confirm, please.

[avatar]
@candle

Yes, I was disappointed that Rocktober was moved off site as well. Would love to see it back here at the 50/90 site.

See You In The Shadows…

[avatar]
@gm7

Agreed.

[avatar]
@fuzzy

Yeah, I've really really missed participating in Rocktober.

[avatar]

Mod/messenger: Per the admins, it will not be held on site this year. Plan accordingly!

[avatar]
@gubna

what is Rocktober?

[avatar]

@gubna Rocktober is the traditional 50/90 'after party' - basically a month of 50/90 participants making cover versions - often quite original takes on the covered songs.

[avatar]

:(

[avatar]
@candle

That's too bad. But I do understand given the re-build of this & the FAWM site. Hopefully next year we can see #rocktober back.

See You In The Shadows…

[avatar]

after three months of writing between 50-100 songs, rocktober is a long hot shower to clean out the pores of creativity and immerse oneself in the joys of music outside of ones own musical sphere. it is a neccessary cleansing in order to start fresh again in february.

[avatar]
@gm7

Ok understood. Given the large task that the guys/gal did this year I can totally understand that they need a break.

[avatar]
@jamkar

If it’s posting only, why not open a fb Rocktober site? Or does that involve copyright infringement?

[avatar]

@jamkar Mike, not everyone uses FB. I don't/won't. I missed Rocktober a great deal last year.

[avatar]

@jamkar there are many facebook sites devoted to posting cover songs, so there is no copywrite infringement in doing so.

[avatar]

I fully understand why this site won’t be available for Rocktober but yes i will miss it, i am not a fan of traditional covers but the ones in Rocktober are often amazing, i think its because they really are covers and not copies! FB just doesn't work for many reasons, there were only a handful last year mostly Bills. Hopefully one day it will comeback.

[avatar]

Sadly, people will have to wait at least another year to hear me cover "Boogie Oogie Oogie (Till You Just Can't Boogie No More)..... :(
In the mean time here's the original to help get some bounce in people's Thursday night! ::)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhD58dP9kq8

[avatar]

We probably wouldn't get to hear it anyway @wolfkier as it would be on your hidden profile :-)

[avatar]

@coolparadiso LOL! Maybe you could let me use yours..... wait......

[avatar]

anyone got plans to set anything up for this ?? group fb/blog/w.e??
i wanna weird out doing weird covers

[avatar]

@chldomn5 @jamkar - There's a facebook group for it here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/164183899213630

Obviously, if someone wants to set up a different/better option, that's absolutely fine too. While the idea was born in 50/90, I don't think anyone can claim copyright, other than @jackdawfactories, who suggested it on the forums.

[avatar]
@fuzzy

I really have missed Rocktober the past few years. I hope someone figures out a non-Facebook way to do this! I'd do it myself but I'm pretty technologically illiterate!

[avatar]
@lowhum

Here is a forum I set up for Rocktober. You need to register though. Have a look and test it. Let me know what do you think. I don't think we need more than be able to post link to song and have comments.
https://rocktober.forumotion.eu
PS: If there are people who have experience and would like to administer it, let me know.

[avatar]
@fuzzy

Oh my gosh, @lowhum, you are my new favourite person! 😀

[avatar]

How clever!

[avatar]

Nice one @lowhum - I've posted the link in the facebook group to encourage people to head over there

[avatar]

@wolfkier OMG! Sign me up to hear that (Boogie Oogie Oogie). Now you’re talkin my era!

[avatar]
@jamkar

Good on you @lowhum!

[avatar]
@fuzzy

Alright, I have an issue already!! 😄
I've tried to register and was told I was sent an email, but never got one.
Now it won't let me in.
Any way to delete my info so I can register again??

[avatar]

@lowhum Thanks so much for doing this.. It took a little wrangling and checking off busses and cars but I'm in. I look forward to Rocktober (again) very much now! :)

@ferry0123 !

[avatar]
@lowhum

@fuzzy I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Might be an idea to check spam folder. I'm new with this so be patient.

[avatar]

@sbs2018 see what happens when you bring out the big threat! LOL....
We have a real rocktober back again! YAY!

[avatar]

I'm signed up! Did you see this @billwhite51

[avatar]

Oh nice!

While this 50/90 has been an absolute wash for me, I was planning on coming at Rocktober with all I got.

[avatar]

Did you see this @candle rocktober site

[avatar]
@gm7

Woohoo !! great job @lowhum I am going to check this out asap.✌🎶😎

[avatar]
@gm7

Woo... I am registered.. easy peasy

[avatar]
@gm7

oops I can't log in. I will try in a few minutes..

[avatar]
@candle

Awesome @lowhum! Thanks for tipping me off to this @coolparadiso Now my October is going to be even better 😀

See You In The Shadows…

[avatar]

Done!

[avatar]
@lowhum

@gm7 if your user is Gmy, then the account is active. Write on my wall if you cannot log in.

[avatar]

I signed up. Movers are here - should have studio set up soon - yay!

[avatar]

awesome! thanks @lowhum

[avatar]

Thanks @lowhum. I'm in.

[avatar]

Good luck @sbs2018 mine is not until 25 November.

[avatar]

just signed up. Guessing I'd have to do a soundcloud link or something, as the link hosting thru this fawm/ 5090 won't be active (or won't want to be used for covers, understandably) for october?

[avatar]

@coolparadiso Ah, sounds like you’re in a similar situation. Must be global. First date was June 27, then July 13, then end of August, then Sept. 9 and finally Sept. 14. Feels good to see our belongings again and sleep in own bed tonight! Hang in there!

[avatar]
@roddy

Thanks @lowhum this is great.

[avatar]

I don't really understand what Rocktober is but there's enough clues in this thread that I know I have to sign up, so I did.

[avatar]

@jtsteam a number of things may or may not happen but above all its the opportunity to do alternative cover versions!

[avatar]

I'm signed up. Are there any rules or is it just a free for all of covers?

[avatar]

@pauloramos You do covers and post then just like you would here, but in a different kind of website. So your song becomes a forum thread there! Welcome! It's fun with some great work shared!!

[avatar]
@fuzzy

Yeah, @pauloramos, pretty much free-form covers. You want to do a thrash metal version of a Backstreet Boys tune? Or a jazz instrumental cover of a Beatles track? Go ahead! Almost anything goes!

[avatar]

@fuzzy - my mate's band actually do a punk/metal cover of backstreet boys.

@pauloramos One thing that is by no means required, but kind of fun, from years gone by, was that we did some covers of other fawmers' songs. There's often, in more recent years, been a suggested album to cover, but it's all suggestion, rather than rules.

[avatar]

And there I was wondering what I was going to do once 50/90 ends. Praise be for Rocktober!

[avatar]

I've signed up. Looks good, I've even listened to the embedded YT vid and it works. Glad to see something like this set up.

It's a bit hard to read the text in the posts though, it's quite small.

[avatar]
@fuzzy

@helenseviltwin, I might actually do a ukulele cover of a Backstreet Boys tune for Rocktober.