Searching for advanced beginner guitar songs

[avatar]
@nadine

I'm learning the acoustic guitar for roughly one year, and I'm running out of ideas for songs to learn. Unfortunately most songs I love are performed on electric guitars on alternate tunings in extraordinary speed. I barely have acoustic music on my playlists. And I'm tired of beginner stuff with the same 3 chords!

Do you know cool songs for somebody who is...
- interested in rock, metal and blues and everything in between. I'm also okay to try folk or country
- bored of today's mainstream radio music
- bored of usual 3 chord progressions
- prefers strumming with plec and arpeggio with fingers
- learning first full barrels (F, E, A shape, powerchords)
- mid tempo. I don't want to play ballads all the time...
The songs could have an interesting intermediate twist like multiple bar strumming patterns, unusual chords, non 4/4 signature, riffs in between, drop D tuning...

Drop the titles or links here. Thank you! :)

[avatar]

Well done to get this far @nadine! If I had to name one, my most used and worn songbook in the last 14 years (gosh it's been that long now?) since I picked up the guitar again is 'The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook' published by Hal Leonard. Partly because I have listened to all of their albums for decades and know all of the songs by heart. Partly because the songs are at different skill levels (I still struggle with a few) with lots of different chord shapes, and there are many different styles of music. Most importantly because the arrangements by Rikky Rooksby are spot on with the original songs. When I did learn one I got that feeling of 'yes I can play this'.

I have a dozen or so of other books from the similar Hal Leonard 'Guitar Chord Songbook' series of songs with just the lyrics and chords in a lead sheet style. A few of them have songs by a variety of artists sometimes by genre. Another similar series of songbooks is the The Little Black Songbook by Wise Publications. My favorites of theirs are Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, and The Who. The Cherry Lane Strum & Sing series is also similar with vertical lines to indicate where the tempo bars are.

For me fakebooks, guitar tab, and piano/vocal/guitar books are less satisfying to learn from but can be useful, depending on the song and what I am trying to learn. Often guitar tab and piano books have too many pages and sometimes additional verses are on the last page of several to ten. I prefer for the entire song to be on one page or maybe two and do not enjoy stopping to flip back and forth between pages.

Fakebooks are sometimes over simplified. An example of a good fakebook that I have played alot of songs from is The Rolling Stones Fakebook by Alfred Music. Even though the Rolling Stones often used alternate tuning, this fakebook is based on standard tuning and also has the tempo bars and time signature, along with a vocal melody and harmony line for those who read sheet music.

I hope this helps!

[avatar]

Hi Nadine, checkout Justin‘s page justinguitar.com . He‘s got tons of videos with song tutorials online on bis page and it‘s free.

[avatar]

PS: enrolling is also free and you can sort the songs per genre and stile and your proficiency then .

[avatar]
@nadine

Thank you. I was hoping for specific songs cause i learn by listening and looking up chord diagrams and tabs for the details. But I'll take a look into the above mentioned material 😀

@andygetch I didn't know about fakebooks. Thanks for explaining cause I came across some of those some months ago and I was not amused by some simplifications. Its been a bit confusing to hear a different strumming pattern or chord here and there.

[avatar]

Oh okay @nadine . Here are a few midtempo songs that I really like to play:
The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Leonard Cohen - First We Take Manhattan, Democracy
The Who - 5:15, Bell Boy, I'm One, Substitute

[avatar]

Nadine I used to just google "best busking songs" and I would get a few fantastic lists"

[avatar]
@panch

Ultimate Guitar is pretty much the go to site for tabs and chords. But I still like Chordie because people post their own songbooks which can stir up ideas. https://www.chordie.com/index.php

[avatar]
@nadine

Thank you, I found some cool stuff! Always open for new ideas. I don't want to learn songs everybody plays before thrown out of the guitar shop. Like Wonderwall 😀