30 days (one-third) in - how are you doing?

[avatar]

Today, doing the math is pretty easy to see if you're on pace - number of songs finished times 3. For me, that's a pace of 63, and I have two more ready to record tonight or tomorrow.
Even then, the idea of a "pace" is inexact - I've had a few days of posting two songs back to back, a string of consecutive days of posting songs, and one five-day break. It's been an eventful 30 days for me - trip to see family in Ohio, two big car repairs, business in flux and, oh yeah, Covid. (And then woke up this morning to no home internet - thank goodness for phone hotspots.)
Still the goal remains 50 solo demos, and a bunch of collabs on top of that. And since I'm not keeping track of how many comments I'm giving (quality comments, I hope), my current commenting goal is to at least make sure to reciprocate ones I get.
Also, I feel pretty energetic about making music right now - looking at it mainly as therapy and taking care of myself.
How are you doing?

[avatar]

Overall feeling good. After a slow start the first 3 weeks I've got 20 posted. Using the arithmetic pace I am ambling to upwards of 50 towards 60 or more, as I usually am on a slight geometric pace and post more songs in September than in July. The 20 so far are a healthy mix of collabs, skirmishes, challenges, and other song ideas. I still feel like I am behind on commenting. Taking it one song at a time, though there are a few in slow preparation.

[avatar]

I have 11 up, with 1 almost ready to post and many more "in progress". They come in batches, so I expect I'll reach the 50 despite being "behind" at the moment. I'm more interested in writing what calls to me than reaching a specific numerical goal, but this will like be a two birds/one stone situation.

[avatar]

My song count so far is 9, which is a lot more than I thought I could muster. Nowhere near getting to 50 but that never was my goal. I'm also pretty pleased with the quality and the fact that most of them are collabs.

[avatar]

I've just posted my 25th, which is pleasing since that's about as many as I expected for the full 90 days. On the other hand, I feel like I'm about to run out of ideas. On the other other hand, ideas do seem to turn up. No matter what, it's fun, and I'm enjoying seeing what everyone else comes up with, so I don't see any way not to win :).

[avatar]

I’m at 5 😅 I’ve got two more I could record/tweak and push out but I do not like them. This is my first go though so I’m just excited I’ve already made this many. I’ll plan some time to push out a bunch one weekend

[avatar]

I'm right on track with 2!

[avatar]

24 i think, but lots almost ready 30 plus. Mainly writing lyrics now! If anyone wants some just ask, random or written to order on a topic. Really enjoying doing lyrics at the moment.

[avatar]
@mikeb

My first 50-90, so at 7 songs (including 2 collabs), I'm doing more than I anticipated. Another song in the works today.

[avatar]

Thanks, everyone, for checking in!
@johnstaples - You make a good point. Right on track has different meanings to different people!
@coolparadiso - I'll have a look at some of those lyrics!
@jtsteam - Yes, I've had that running out of ideas feeling. And then, yes, they do just seem to turn up. I've gotten three lyric ideas in the last few days that have emerged from the clutter of my desk.

[avatar]

This is my first 50/90 and I am enjoying myself immensely. I've made songs that I would have NEVER even considered bothering to create, let alone put the out for public consumption. The wonderful comments from the community have been an absolute joy to read. I've made 8 songs with 1 more ready to go. I don't reckon I'll get to 50, but that doesn't matter to me at this point. I'm so glad I found this site!

[avatar]

I've only submitted two so far! I didn't think about external life events when I got ready for this challenge. Last month I moved to a new place on the 12th, then had surgery on the 19th. I tried focusing on composing over performing, but even playing keyboard was wearing me out. Still optimistic, though! And happy to be giving it a shot.

[avatar]

@outinpublicdrummer - Ah, yes ... those darned external life events!
Sometimes I can think of making music as a diversion from a hectic life, and sometimes the hectic life gets in the way of making music.
Just after I started this thread, feeling pretty good about music-making, I hit a four-day dead zone. Didn't feel like making new music, or like listening/commenting. (The length of 50/90 makes it OK to take those kinds of breaks.)
Now, this morning, I have three songs to record! And the kickstarter was a song about my lack of music-making mojo.

[avatar]

Spotty start with very few songs that I'll ever play live...maybe no more than one. And it's going to slow down over the next few weeks, I think, due to real life events. For me to get much accomplished this 50/90, I'm going to need a spectacular September.

I'm coming to realize that I'm much more of a FAWM person. For one month, I can tell the world to go away, but not for three. Or, at least, not for three in summer.

[avatar]

This is my most sparse 50/90 to date. I recorded four songs in June so my wave of inspiration ended in the first week of 50/90. A recordings didn't go the way I wanted last Sunday so now I'm taking a break until I feel the desire to record something again. I haven't even touched my guitar all week, maybe this is good so I can come back refreshed and inspired.

I've left virtually nothing for comments either, this is just not my 50/90 overall.

[avatar]
@beacon

Had a bunch of things happen in life, and am not putting too much pressure on the muses to push songs through me. I will get back, and that is the wonderful thing about 50/90: if gives you some time to recuperate.

I think I'm at 7 or 8 songs which is way ahead of where I was last year at this time.

[avatar]
@cblack

10th of August here. So that's 37 days. Up to 6 tracks posted, a few more in the works, so let's call it 1 song per 6 days. 90 days is thus 15 songs projected. I can live with that. 😀

It'd be more than the last few FAWMs, and the quality is definitely increasing.

[avatar]

This Wednesday August 17 will be the halfway mark (it's also my mom's birthday and move-in day for my daughter at college). So it will be very easy to track your progress. I'm at 27 - should be at 30 by Wednesday. That would be just a bit behind last year's output (61, I think).
Another interesting question is: how many of your songs so far do you like? (I don't think of them so much as keepers anymore, since I don't perform like I used to.) I think I'd say about a dozen stand out, but I pretty much like all of them.

[avatar]

@chipwithrow I'm at 31 now on day 42 and I guess I like them all to some degree. There will probably be the 10 percent or so that I continue to play in public like at the farmers market. Some are admittedly one-off experiments and most are writing exercises. However, I learned something from each of them. 24 of the 31 are solo demos and, much to my surprise, I am now also on pace for 50 solo demos, which has been more elusive for me in past 5090's.

[avatar]
@gubna

I'm on 34, and I have a bunch of unfinished things that I need to sit down and work on. It's all a bunch of weird stuff, but considering this has been a difficult year for me - health wise, I'm pretty happy with my output. I've been managing to write something almost every day even if it doesn't flesh out as a song. as far as if I like them or not, some I did so quickly, I go back and think "wait, did I make that?!"

I'll keep on trucking, but I don't know where this disheveled train is headed...

[avatar]

I'm boggled. I appear to be almost on track and there's half a dozen collabs I'm trying to do. My surreal existence is getting in the way, I thought, but doesn't seem to be biting. Where I AM falling down is not much commenting.

[avatar]
@fuzzy

I'm really having a hard time keeping my motivation up and the tunes flowing this summer. I have three people waiting on collabs (one for over a month), but I'm just not feeling it right now! Lots of time left, though, so I'm sure things will pick up for me!
I'm having a hard time keeping up with Commenting on other peoples tunes, too.
Sorry about that!

[avatar]

I love what @andygetch says about having learned something from each song. That's how I think of it too, and I feel like I'm learning a lot this year, and trying more things out of my comfort zone. I give all my songs a 1-5 rating when I finish them, and this year my songs are averaging out at 2.92 which I feel really good about! I'm also grateful to my July self for writing so much, which allowed me to slip a little in my pace lately and stay on track. Commenting - I'm terrible! I'm sorry! But I admire what everyone is accomplishing and learning and trying so much. This is a site full of amazing people/writers.

[avatar]

I'm struggling to get back into things but I feel like once the floodgates open I'll be back to normal.