Interest in a recurring weekday skirmish?

[avatar]

Hi, folks. Last 50/90, I hosted quite a few skirmishes, one of which was a recurring weekday one. I wanted to see if there is interest in that happening this year. It would either be Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday based on my schedule, and somewhere between mid-afternoon and evening EDT (U.S.). Please let me know if there us interest in this and if one or more of those days is preferable.

[avatar]

That sounds great. Thank you. I'm in. Either day is good for me, and the earlier the better, so the European crowd can join too...

[avatar]
@wacha

I would be interested in taking part if you host them. I had hosted one last year but am not up for it this year but would love to pop in from time to time if they are there. Any of the days work for me.

[avatar]

I would be interested. My work schedule is generally flexible and scheduled commitments vary. If I have to go into the office or have a video meeting, then I may participate on a delayed basis. On Wednesday 3pm EDT @unknownbecky hosts a twitch stream that I usually write to so that is my only standing conflict.

[avatar]

Sounds good. I love me a skirmish! Thursday is a no go for me.

[avatar]

Tell me what it is...new here this year, & game for interesting events!

[avatar]

@sammiall skirmishes are great fun! Everyone meets here at an appointed time, and we all receive the same prompt, and we have to write and record a song based on that prompt in one hour. Then everyone posts their take on the prompt, and we all listen to each other's songs. It's fascinating to hear/see all the different interpretations of the same prompt, and from a skills perspective, skirmishes are invaluable for teaching you to "let go" because you literally don't have time to overthink or try to make it perfect.

Should also mention that everything about the "rules" is flexible. You can write but not record, you can only post half a song and finish it later, etc. As has been said recently, there are no skirmish police :)

[avatar]

Hi @sammiall there were a couple today, here is a sample: https://fiftyninety.fawm.org/forums/171

[avatar]

@andygetch - good to know! I am leaning towards Wednesday, so that's helpful.

@nancycunning - I appreciate the info about European times!

@sammiall - welcome to 50/90! I'm so glad you're interested in participating in a skirmish. To echo what @carleybaer said, skirmishes are a great opportunity to turn off the internal editor and just create. There is no right or wrong and you do not need to record anything, although if it's an instrumental, a recording is obviously helpful. 😊 The only "rule" is that we cross-comment on the songs created by all other skirmishers during that time. If you need to come back later to do so because of time constraints, that's fine. Just make a note when you post the link to your song in the skirmish thread and be sure to actually follow up on that. It's a really nice way to get to know other FAWMers and build community.

Thanks, all - it looks like there's a decent amount of interest so let me double check my schedule and I'll post something soon.

[avatar]

Oh, one other thing about Wednesdays @unknownbecky hosts a session on Twitch each Wednesday at 3pm Eastern where she writes a song to a prompt. Last night @andygetch hosted a skirmish where we all wrote to the same prompt @unknownbecky used. Her sessions are great. Here’s the info from her profile:
http://www.twitch.tv/thisisbeckyw
SUNDAYS at 9pm Eastern / 8pm Central / 6pm Pacific
WEDNESDAYS at 3pm Eastern / 2pm Central / 8pm UK

It would be great to schedule ours so it doesn’t conflict, if that can work. Thank you https://fiftyninety.fawm.org/fawmers/vivalarayna for organizing.

[avatar]

I'd be interested too, if it doesn't conflict with my Twitch stream (thanks, @nancycunning and @andygetch for flagging!). But I totally understand if that time is most convenient for everyone else—no worries at all.

[avatar]

I think that sounds like an awesome idea!

[avatar]

@vivalarayna @carleybaer Thank you for the great information - I will watch for these, definitely interested! I am getting a lot of fabulous opportunities to try "songwriting shapes" I've never done before - loving both the spectrum of creative options & some of the results I am having with them here. And @andygetch - Thanks so much for posting one for me to go & check out, enjoying what I am seeing & hearing on this.

[avatar]

I have not had the opportunity to do any of the skirmishes so far, so I am in favour of this idea. I think last FAWM at least 40% of the songs I wrote were from Skirmish prompts.

[avatar]

I'd be interested if it isn't on a Wednesday.

[avatar]

Thanks for the input, folks! I'll start up a mid-week skirmish next week. It seems Tuesday and Wednesday are the preferred days. I'll likely go with Wednesday, but may occasionally switch between the two depending on my schedule. I look forward to seeing everyone there!

[avatar]

@vivalarayna Thanks for doing this.

[avatar]
@wacha

Thanks @vivalarayna !

[avatar]

Hello, folks! Regrettably, I'll have to postpone this for one more week. A class I'm in was supposed to end last Wednesday, but was extended an additional week. With my other obligations tomorrow, it's too much to squeeze this in.

My plan was to sub the weekly skirmish in to the existing class slot. That would be 1pm EDT. That would seem to work for folks overseas and also not conflict with the skirmish that @unknownbecky runs over on Twitch. Let's please plan to meet up at 1pm EDT on Wednesday, August 17!

[avatar]

Looking forward to it. That's a great time for me.

[avatar]

Fridays are good for me.

[avatar]

I would be interested in any evening skirmish!