Are you keeping up pace? (18 days in)

[avatar]

Actually, we're 19 days into the challenge. If you have 10 (or more) songs by now, you're on track for 50. How are you doing?
My goal for years has been at least 50 solo demos, and a few collabs. Most years that takes me over 60. Of course, I know for many of you 50 is not the goal. (And honestly, I can't quite figure out why it is for me, since I already have so many songs gathering digital dust.)
Although I wasn't feeling it at the beginning of the challenge, I'm now in a good groove - 12 demos posted, 4 ready to record, including 2 collabs.
I'm a little behind in my commenting, I think - I kind of like not having the counter. Mainly trying to keep up with listening to everyone who's listened to mine.

[avatar]

Me, not exactly. I’m at 7, but with 4 more in the making, and challenges for another 2. But then I never aimed at 50. My aim was simply loosening up my perfectionism a bit by sharing more often - and that’s already achieved. On top of that I connected to lots of people and learned that writing music to existing lyrics actually works for me. So more than satisfied, even if I should stop right now.

[avatar]

I am chugging along, with no particular number to achieve. I like finding new music to listen to, and I am trying more collaborations this summer, with some extra production bits. I still marvel at the fact I am doing this.

[avatar]

The calendar says I'm supposed to be at 10, and I have eight full demos up, with two more in process, so I'm pretty pleased. I know it's *highly* unlikely I'll make 50, but if I can keep a pace to hit 30-35, I'll be very pleased. (Heck, if I hit 25, I'll be very pleased!)

[avatar]

My only goal here is to have fun! - and already achieved this.
I posted 8 songs yet . Very happy with the feedback.
To me it is much more relaxed as in February cause I got plenty of time.
I really enjoy listening to the music of other FAMLers here and I proudly became a member of the #slothcore republic :-)

[avatar]

I only have 2 so far, haha. Might do a feast this weekend and try to crank out a bunch. If nothing else it’ll be good practice for the songwriting workshop I’m leading where one of the major lessons is learning to release expectation 😅

[avatar]
@nadine

No and I don't have the goal to wrote 50 songs or even an album. I just write when I got something on my mind.

[avatar]

7 so far and have not had as much time as past years to write, listen, and comment. Will see where the next 70 days takes me.

[avatar]

I'm not keeping up at all. Only 4 songs with 1 in the works. Oh well. I have no real number in mind for this go around. I've completed the challenge many times, so am happy with any amount of songs that happen.

[avatar]

7 songs so far, plus 3 collabs that I already did my part. I'm currently working on a song that I want to take my time on, but I will probably work on smaller pieces in the meantime.

I also have another metric that I'm tracking: 32 pull requests on the new FAWM website — each one a bug fix, improvement, or new feature. 😄

[avatar]

Yesterday's song (that's actually more of a "close to complete" piece) came out of working on a shorter-than-most for an exquisite corpse...longer results happen when I am NOT aiming at them, it seems! That was #17 in my 5090 folder, so keeping pace is happening, even though a few of them are definitely more of a "musical scrap" than an actual song as of yet...that's what they will grow up to be, with a bit of nurturing. I need to work on posting - trying to learn how to use editing programs this week, so that I can post those that sound more "finished" in a way that sounds more professional than me & my uke on Voice Recorder.

[avatar]

No, I am hoping a dam will break and I'll get more later, or I'll start putting instrumentals up. I have been having odd technical problems which I think are sorted now so hopefully I'll get more prolific the deeper we get in!

[avatar]

I'm at four. I'm not aiming for 50 but I would like a nice summer crop of songs so I hope I can break the damn dam and write more.

[avatar]

I’m at 2 currently and have a few collabs in the works. It’s been a week since I’ve sat down and done any noodling in Logic, hoping to get back on that today.

[avatar]

I've got about 14 or so, but I'm going to be away mid-August for a bit so if I want to make it to 50, I'll need to stay ahead until i go away on the trip...so we'll see. typically i do alot more at the beginning, then step away for a while and get back in near the end ....

[avatar]

I am not. Ah well

[avatar]

I guess it would be more surprising if I didn't! Been a long time (years) since I didn't write 4 songs a week. 17 so far so well on track!

[avatar]

Doing okay, I have nine and a few more ideas. I was never going to do 50 total anyhow.
Probably my song input during August will be low and it will pick back up in September. Still will be far from 50 but whatever I get is good.

[avatar]

i normally do a big blitz at the start so i can relax later on. so ive achieved more than the number i had i was originally happy with
goal is to get 10 songs that i spend all challenge on to neaten up, take my time, and simply enjoy the ride from here on out. i agree that its just a number that 50 is proposed and any songs/lyrics done is a success. think i did 15 last year but really wasnt in it that time. head wasnt right. this year though has been the most productive yet. funny as mentioned about perfectionism, im more perfection minded with commenting than with the songs this year. commenting less but making more. huh, something to say for relaxing and letting it be, it seems

[avatar]
@cblack

2 songs posted. 2 collabs coming. 3 more lyrics that need music. 2 bits of guitar recorded that need drums/bass.

Technically that makes 9. Except it'll likely be another week minimum to get the partials to full.

But all I want to do this 50/90 is learn more about *how* to write songs. The number of songs doesn't matter. Learning matters. And in that, I'm on track. 😀

[avatar]
@gubna

I'm just trying to write something every day whether it's only one line of lyrics, a poem, or making noise in the daw. We'll see where I end up, but this is my first 50-90 and it's been really helpful having it to focus on in my life right now. It's a good distraction.

[avatar]
@seppo

I have nothing yet..
Too much work has been going on and I'm not aiming 50.
If I reach 10 I'm satisfied.
I'm in sauna's deck chilling out and wondering should I try if there is some song inside me which wants to get out.

[avatar]
@zecoop

.............no
;)

[avatar]
@beacon

Last year was my first 50/90, and I didn't write my first song until the end of July. Goal was to write 5-10; ended up with 16.

This 50/90, I've already done 6, and have about 5 collabs that I've got planned. I'm like @carleybaer in that I'm just trying to try new things and get things out of my head, no matter what I think the quality is, and also see if I can work more deeply in other areas.

Have no idea how many I'll do, I just want to be in the flow with all of you.

[avatar]

I got a late start, and if you count from my first upload, I’ve basically been on a every other day schedule, the interring thing is that I don’t know how. I haven’t felt any pressure to get anything done, just been working when I have the time.

Last year, during lockdown, it looks like I hit 20 or so, I would at least like to do the same. The lack of scrimmages will have an impact though.

[avatar]

Struggling this year but due to a lack of ability just a lack of enough spare time. However I am on 12 which surprised me.

[avatar]

Only one done and posted thus far, but about a dozen songs partially done, and a few collaborations underway to keep me accountable. These first few weeks I haven't found much opportunity to spend time in my studio and have tried to make sure I leave a guitar laying out in plain view in the main living area to drive me towards completion.

I doubt I'll do fifty, but I can set twenty getting done and posted when the dust has settled. I've been enjoying the discussion and in listening to awesome songs here when I can!

[avatar]

I only jumped in three days ago (I hear ya, @spazsquatch), so I was already behind. But now I have three lyrics only for songs (ditto, @cblack , that need music and vocals) posted, so, with others in progress, I'd say I'm in a good groove and on a productive course for more lyrics.

[avatar]

I seem to remember a thread where there was a chart/calendar of 'where we should be on a given day'.. ie - by Aug 1st, if we're on track for 50, how many songs should we have written? Can't find that thread, or the calendar....

anyone know this? will be (hopefully) away for a bit in August, so want to get a jump on things if I can-- I'm at about 21 songs or so....

[avatar]

16 is 1st August target according to the calculators.

This is the thread @mikeskliar was

https://fiftyninety.fawm.org/forums/54?highlight=Helenseviltwin

I think there was also another option in there

[avatar]

According to that target, I've half as many as I should have, but if I'm being honest, I'm surprised I've managed the 8 I have, so I'm content for now. Just glad I'm writing songs again after a year out.

[avatar]

Another way to look at it is that tomorrow (Tuesday Aug 2) will be day 30. So multiply whatever you have then by 3, and there's your projected total. Also gives an idea of what kind of pace you may may want to proceed with.
I'm at 21 now and may have another one today or tomorrow, so projected total of 63 to 66. I did 61 last year, I think.

[avatar]
@aeye

NOPE lol. I'm also not really trying / putting a lot of energy into it this year to be fair. too much other stuff going on.

[avatar]

36 posted. another 5 in the can

[avatar]

As of this afternoon I have 11, most of which are collaborations or instrumentals. The instrumentals almost seem like cheating because the computer does a bunch of the heavy lifting, but let's be fair, I don't just take the output from the computer, slap it down and call it good. There's an awful lot of editing, arranging, mixing and production that goes into those instrumentals.

When you consider that I wasn't sure if I would get more than four or five, I figure I'm doing pretty well.

[avatar]

keep chanting, everyone.... "glass half full".... By that I mean, hey, if you've done another song here, congrats! That's one more, maybe one that you would not have done at this point without this great community. Most of us don't get to 50 songs, (and while I have, sometimes, there's plenty of years where I didn't) ..and the nature of 50/90 is that people go 'in and out' of participation for all sorts of life reasons. Anyway, congrats to everyone who is continuing to post songs, even if its one every two weeks , or one a month. And for those who have lots and lots of songs, congrats too, of course!

[avatar]
@candle

I hadn't counted how many I was at… I guess I always rely on the Song Counter that's normally on the FAWMer page. But with that feature not implemented yet (hopefully coming soon?), I did a quick manual song count & was pleasantly surprised to see that I'm at 17. I really didn't think I had that many 😲 Well, I guess I've been keeping up, despite not feeling very creative & having so many other things going on in my mundane life at the moment. I don't think I'll be hitting the numbers that I have in years past, but if I can hit 50 over the summer (& into September, because technically summer doesn't end until the Equinox in Spetember, right 😀 ), I think I'll be happy. And I think my Muse will be satisfied - or at least I hope she will be 😆 😆 😆

See You In The Shadows…

[avatar]
@candle

@mikeskliar, a good friend of mine (a wiser man than me) once wrote & recorded a song called Chinese Beaufouette wherein he mused the following regarding half-full glasses:

"Sensei says it's not a question
Of glass being full or half empty
But whether or not you are thirsty"

I would tend to hope we are all thirsty for inspiration & hopefully the volume remaining in our glasses is not a consideration.

But I love the analogy, non-the-less 😄 Congrats everyone & keep the amazing songs coming!

See You In The Shadows…

[avatar]
@cblack

2 songs posted. 3 collabs in-progress. 1 collab soon to start. 1 song unposted. 3 more sets of lyrics that I'm unsure what to do with, but the lyrics will be posted even if they don't go anywhere.

So... 10 maximum right now. That's better than I thought. 😀

[avatar]

NOPE.
Once, after completing 50/90, I swore to never again attempt it.

But here I am. For the love of music making...making some musics.
Not a LOT of musics, but SOME musics. :)

[avatar]
@miga

I'm impressed that so many people can say they have 3 or 4 songs in the works!
I sometimes have an idea what I'm going to write but it might change when I finally get around it it. Usually I have NO idea what's next, but that's kinda fun too.

I'm on track with 5 songs, by the skin of my teeth, to write 1-2 songs a week. Not a good summer to work toward even such a modest goal, but hey, what could go wrong with just trying?! Nothing. And I've written 5 more songs than I would have otherwise...

[avatar]

waiting on 3 collabs

[avatar]
@gm7

I will never make 50. I have 11 so far of which 8 are collabs. I have 6 or 7 in the works all of which are collabs. Numbers are OK I just like the entire process and the challenges is brings. It has benefits!

The link below is very interesting article on the benefits of music for the brain.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/why-is-music-good-for-the-brain-2020100721062
HERE IS A SMALL SECTION FOR YOU ALL TO PERUSE
Music activates just about all of the brain
Music has been shown to activate some of the broadest and most diverse networks of the brain. Of course, music activates the auditory cortex in the temporal lobes close to your ears, but that’s just the beginning. The parts of the brain involved in emotion are not only activated during emotional music, they are also synchronized. Music also activates a variety of memory regions. And, interestingly, music activates the motor system. In fact, it has been theorized that it is the activation of the brain’s motor system that allows us to pick out the beat of the music even before we start tapping our foot to it!

[avatar]
@gm7

I have 11 posted and a few more in the hopper. I am thinking Sept could be busy but I will never make 50...it was never my goal. I am having fun with my music and my collabs and that's what counts.