Superskirmishes?

[avatar]

Remind me, is that a FAWM thing only? It fits the sprint better than the marathon, but I recall there being some last year?

[avatar]

That sounds awful with no subforums.

[avatar]

They also happen in 50/90, however less frequently than FAWM. Like FAWM I have observed that they happen organically where someone starts asking like in this thread, some like the idea and some not so much. Maybe someone sets up a schedule in another thread and maybe enough someones volunteer to host one-hour time slots to have a superskirmish. I have organized a few superskirmishes in the past and I will say that it takes a fair bit of organizing, time, and energy that I can't commit to this year. Last year, as I recall in 5090 there was a superskirmish the last weekend of July and one the last weekend of September.

[avatar]

I would suggest that it would be a great kindness to wait until we have forum categories before we superskirmish.

[avatar]

Sounds fair to me.

[avatar]

Perhaps I'm on Team Anarchy, but I honestly don't see how a superskirmish could go any more haywire without the forum categories than it does with. Of course, I do root for rogue asteroids to just "solve our problems", so there's that dose of daily positivity. 🤷‍♀️

[avatar]

I think the thought is that the forum would be useless for anything other than the superskirmish as all the other threads would get buried with the skirmish posts constantly at the top.

[avatar]

I'm with @vivalarayna. If someone is willing to set up a superskirmish and can get enough hosts I say Go For It! Superskirmishes are awesome for helping us do what we are here for...writing songs!

And it is fine if the superskirmish posts push other posts down for a day or two! We still have about 79 days left...plenty of time for skirmishing and everything else!

[avatar]

(I'm also with @vivalarayna on the rogue asteroid position!)

[avatar]

Is their a time frame on forum categories? If it was a week or so I could see in good spirit it might be nice to wait but I don't think it's fair the other way to expect skirmishers to wait forever. Always hoping we can meet everyone's needs.

[avatar]

@coolparadiso makes a good point regarding timing. I think it we launch a pre-categories superskirmish, we might do well to make it 4-hour blocks instead of 2. There are fewer people engaging at the moment finding a sufficient number of hosts may prove daunting. Plus, it gives participants more time for listening and engaging in non-50/90 life.

[avatar]

Also, if we *do* get hit by a rogue asteroid or other comically sourced ELE, it's now entirely @johnstaples fault.

[avatar]

Following. I've really enjoyed FAWM Superskirmishes in the past, I expected there would be more skirmishing in 50/90 and keep searching for it in the forums. I think the four hour time slot is a great idea @vivalarayna.

[avatar]

@vivalarayna it always is @johnstaples fault!

[avatar]

@coolparadiso - haha, that sounds like a good life rule! 🤣

[avatar]
@wacha

I do love a good Superskirmish but agree that if the subcategories for the forums will be ready in the near future perhaps we hold off. If it's going to be a while then maybe we just embrace the chaos?

If there is one, my participation would be dodgey at best given my current situation.

[avatar]

of historical note, we organized the first superskirmish before the old site had forum subcategories specifically for skirmishes.

[avatar]
@tjeff

I love the inspiration and commitment that skirmishes provide and require - they've helped me so very much since I jumped into my first skirmish a few years ago. I've read this thread with interest and would be willing to set up a superskirmish schedule for this weekend. If there's sufficient objection due to the "subforum" issue, I'm also willing to hold off for now. From what I've read, it seems like the main objection is that so many individual skirmish threads will push other topics down the list on the main forum page? If it's only for a couple days I fail to see what chaos would ensue? It's easy to scroll down the page or use search to find what you're looking for? Or am I missing something?

[avatar]

Given that this is 50/90, not FAWM, and so the forum is not super-intense or busy, I wouldn't think that 10 or 12 Superskirmish threads would completely derail the other forum discussions, so I wouldn't let the forum issue be the deciding factor if there's sufficient demand to set a superskirmish up. I'm not one of those people who has the stamina to do most / all skirmishes in a superskirmish, but I'll do my best to participate in one or two if it happens!

[avatar]

I'm neither pro- nor con-superskirmishes, and not worried by moving forum posts either.

[avatar]

I miss super-skirmishes. I thrive off of them often.

[avatar]

i appreciate a lot of lead time before a super-skirmish so i can plan a vacation.

[avatar]

IMO skirmishes set a timeframe to sit, write and record a demo. It’s something I do year round not just in fawm. That kind of time constraint is great to kick off your inner critic for a song every now and then. And just write without barriers. It shouldn’t be just for FAWM, if there is interest then why not

[avatar]

my life is a timeframe for writing songs.

[avatar]

I'm pro-superskirmish too! And I don't think the forum issue should stop us.

[avatar]

So when do you all wanna do a superskirmish? I think I'm free next weekend (5/6/7 August) except for a Saturday morning.

[avatar]

Would be interested in each mentioned days by @tcelliott
I would be interested in hosting some too. Let's go for it :)

[avatar]

Of course I would participate and would be willing to host one or two individual skirmish sessions next weekend.

[avatar]

Yeah I would be able to do a few and would host 1 for sure.

[avatar]

Count me in. I'm good for a host spot.

[avatar]
@andrea

I am in too. Happy to host one or two :)

[avatar]

I might be able to host one on Friday.

[avatar]

Is this still a thing? I may wish to join in.

[avatar]

I'm definitely up for skirmishing this weekend....

[avatar]

as a reminder, anyone can host an individual skirmish at any time

[avatar]

Yes, I remember and I'm very keen to host some skirmishes but I'm not sure how to post the tags, I find it really confusing to form them, and the link to the time zone. Any help would be very appreciated.

[avatar]

Great @musicsongwriter! I usually start with a copy and paste from another thread. The Sunday Skirmish is a great example, especially for the tags :), the only one to change is the day/time/year/letter. I don't pretend to be an expert on that, however it needs to be a different tag from other skirmishes on that day. For the world clock converter I link to a specific event time, so the late Sunday skirmish I posted has that, which can be edited to a different time for any of the time zones, and that will change all of the others. Plus I have found that, if I make a mistake on the time zone, someone is sure to help and let me know 😀 .

[avatar]

Thank you @andygetch. Will try my best :)

[avatar]
@tjeff

Ok, I'm gonna set up a schedule for a superskirmish this Fri/Sat Aug 12/13. I'll space them out every 3 hours. I'll post the schedule in a new thread and hopefully we can get all the hosting covered. This is my first time doing this - I found a template from last year that I'll use, once it's posted if anyone sees anything that needs to be corrected plz let me know.

[avatar]

Awesome, will participate and host one or two if I can. Thank you Jeff.

[avatar]

Cool Jeff, I will be just lyrics but will get a few! Should be able to host one!

[avatar]

I'm with ya Jeff. Thanks. Will host one as well.

[avatar]

I will be at FilkOntario this weekend, health permitting and the creek don't rise, which will likely interfere with skirmishing. But I miss the superskirmishes, so I shall trust there will be another time.

[avatar]
@tjeff

FYI, there's a new forum topic titled "SuperSkirmish Info & MASTER SCHEDULE: Friday/Saturday August 12-13" - please let me know in that thread if and when you are available to host one of the skirmishes. Thx!