- Ontario CA
Wow. A Decade of FAWMing
I joined FAWM in January 2013. It transformed me as a musician and songwriter.
Every year I use this space to post a FAWManifesto of my FAWM Goals.
I have a longstanding musical goal to learn at least a bit of drum fundamentals. I am trying to get a glimpse into what it is that drummers do. The answer appears to be: "alchemy".
I dabble with electronic music with an NI Maschine MK2 and software and I'm just scratching the surface.
1. Make at least 1 track where I program/play my own drum parts with the pads.
2. Attempt some Kind of sample based electronica with the pads.
3) I got my first electric guitars at 50 after 30 years playing acoustic. I have been stumbling into an electric aesthetic that is in the territory of Crazy Horse, the Heartbreakers, The Vileators, Blackie and The Rodeo Kings, Corin Raymond, and some of the alt-alt-alt-country rock guys. I am going to keep pursuing this sound.
4. Back to my centre: Lots more of my folk and folk rock story songs. Lots more of my usual mix of folk, kids music, ukulele experiments and a partridge in a pear tree.
5. Collabs very welcome. I learn so much from every one of my collaborators.
When I started FAWM in 2013, I was the only songwriter in my region doing FAWM(Simcoe County, Ontario). Now there are about 2 dozen of us who hang out around the Social Distancing Songwriting Group on Facebook. (See Link Below). Some of these returning writers include @tippyteapot @crutherford @moonraccoon @mandolinda @mrgee1952 @rangermike555 @freddie13 @musicbymichelle @robheron1